Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had posted earlier, but now I have had an alignment and still no change in the vibration. I have a 72 that has a noticable vibration on the highway and it seems to be coming from everywhere. If I take it out of gear, the vibration stays and there is no vibration when revving the engine, so I don't believe it is the engine. Since buying the car, this is what I have done with NO change in the vibration:
1 - balanced front tires
2 - checked wheel bearings - seem OK
3 - checked front suspension - seems OK
4 - replaced front springs with hotchkis springs
5 - swapped left and right front tire
6 - got a completely new set of wheels and tires (not to fix the vibration, I just wanted new ones)
7 - driveshaft balanced and new U joints - it really wasn't out of balance according to the guy
8 - checked trans to rear end angles - OK
9 - changed rear end to a different unit
10 - new motor
11 - new transmission
12 - alignment (and I had the guy at the shop relook at the front suspension/bearings and he said they looked fine)
13 - swapped drims from left to right

I have NO idea what to do next. I am thinking that someone is missing something or one of the above steps (like the driveshaft balance) was not done right. Could the drums be that out of balance?

Does anyone have any suggestions of the type of 'shop' that might specialize in vehicle balancing? Like a race car shop?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Do you have traction bars on the car? If so, are the rubber snubbers touching the springs? If so, this will transfer all the road and suspension vibration into the body of the car. I learned this the hard way.

·
Registered
216 Posts
i had posted earlier, but now i have had an alignment and still no change in the vibration. I have a 72 that has a noticable vibration on the highway and it seems to be coming from everywhere. If i take it out of gear, the vibration stays and there is no vibration when revving the engine, so i don't believe it is the engine. Since buying the car, this is what i have done with no change in the vibration:
1 - balanced front tires
2 - checked wheel bearings - seem ok
3 - checked front suspension - seems ok
4 - replaced front springs with hotchkis springs
5 - swapped left and right front tire
6 - got a completely new set of wheels and tires (not to fix the vibration, i just wanted new ones)
7 - driveshaft balanced and new u joints - it really wasn't out of balance according to the guy
8 - checked trans to rear end angles - ok
9 - changed rear end to a different unit
10 - new motor
11 - new transmission
12 - alignment (and i had the guy at the shop relook at the front suspension/bearings and he said they looked fine)
13 - swapped drims from left to right

i have no idea what to do next. I am thinking that someone is missing something or one of the above steps (like the driveshaft balance) was not done right. Could the drums be that out of balance?

Does anyone have any suggestions of the type of 'shop' that might specialize in vehicle balancing? Like a race car shop?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
how about the fly wheel you mentioned nothing about balancing the flywheel?might i suggest the damper as well.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Check the rear carrier bearings, mine had a vibration like yours and when i changed gears to 4.10 the shop said my bearing were toast.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Does the vibration change at a certain speed? Does it go away when you push on brakes? Check the wheels and see how much weight did they have to put on the wheel to balance it. Does the steering wheel shake back and forth with the vibration? If you feel the vibration, can you feel it more on the steering wheel or on the seat? Do you happen to have the print out of the alignment?

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Does the car have power steering? Have you driven many old cars without power steering? Maybe you're just too sensitive? You probably wouldn't last 10 seconds in my car! If you had any fillings left in your teeth, you'd be doing good after a ride in my junk!!

·
Vendor
1,232 Posts
If you can describe when this vibration takes place it would be easier to suggest a solution. (What speed, on or off load, all the time, etc.)
Tim

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will do my best to answer everyone (and thanks for all of the responses)

1 - No traction bars, so I don't think that is the problem
2 - I don't believe it is the flywheel /damper as the engine seems VERY smooth at all RPM and if I throw it into neutral, the vibration does not go away
3 - It is hard to tell if it is the front or back or either side. I don't believe it is on one side or another and I am pretty sure if is coming through the whole car. You can definitely see the hood/fenders shaking, but it is in your butt as well.
4 - The rear end. I don't beleive it is in the rear, because the stock one did it and the replacement one did it. That being said, the replacement one does have a howl and doesn't seem to be set up right (starts making noise with any throttle at anything over 40mph - let off the throttle and it goes away). It isn't really bad and I'll probably fix it this winter. So there is a slight possiblity that the stock one had a bad bearing (but I doubt it) and the new one does too. Is there a way to easily check for this??
5 - 64chevy2's questions regarding the wheels/alignment -the vibration seems to just be there all of the time, but almost seems to vary with the road. Since it has vibrated with two sets of different wheels/tires that have both been balanced twice, I don't think it is related to the wheels/tires. I also don't think the alignment has anything to do with it, because they made some slight adjustments (not bad) and things stayed the same
6 - Car does not have power steering. I definitely know the difference between and acceptable and unacceptable vibration and this one is defintiley not acceptable.
7 - The vibration occurs at speeds over about 60mph and on load/off load seems to have nothing to do with it.

It has been a little while since driving it on the highway, so the next sunny day I will go out and get the vibration properly 'documented' and I will post those results.

Going back to #1 above, I am wondering if it could be the rear suspension. The car has Air Shocks on it and it seems (sometimes) like the car bumps its way down the road... every little bump seems to really shock the rear. I am wondering if the shocks are just not working right and I am feeling every little bump in the road???

·
Registered
438 Posts
Since you seem to have covered everything else and I'm otherwise stumped I'll just throw this out there, could it be a bent axle?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I assume you mean a bent axle in the rear? Since I have changed the rear and the new rear even has brand new axles, I doubt it (since the original rear and the new rear with the new axles would have to be bent the same since the vibration is the same). Could one of the front spindles be bent?

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Have you checked your subframe? Make sure it's not rotted out around the body bushings. How do the bushings look? If that's ok, have you looked for cracks in the subframe? Where the crossmembers meet the frame, and around the suspension mounts?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All of the stuff looks brand new. I had asked the alignment guy if the frame could be bent, but he said that woudl show up in the alignment.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I've been chasing the same deal in my car, when I pulled the driveshaft this time I noticed the rear pinion was broke and stretched after looking into it some more I found the rear pinion bearing is gone. It was great until 50+ mph and worse decelerating and the same coasting at highway speeds, but fine under full throttle.

Not sure if that's your deal too, but it's something to check for.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Are all of you talking about vibration in cars with a standard transmission?
(These vibration things are really hard to pinpoint sometimes).

If so, then there is another area to consider not covered yet.
I am talking about a bellhousing alignment problem which can cause all kinds of vibration problems and should be corrected ASAP!

Here I go again using Camaro stuff, BUT, same things apply.
You may want to read this research report at this link:

http://www.camaros.org/bellhousings.shtml

This may help you figure something out or at least eliminate a possible problem for someone.

Gary

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Two things to check that I had wrong with mine. They both caused a vibration that was speed dependent.

1. The original owner didn't put a pilot bushing in. It destroyed the input beariing and the cage bearing on the output shaft. Your's could also be bad if you have a manual tansmission.

2. Pinion yoke. One of my retainer pads on the yoke was worn. It allowed the u-joint to move off center a little and cause a vibration at highway speed. The u-joint should be tight in the pinion yoke.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - The car is an automatic, so the manual trans stuff doesn't apply (but thanks for the suggestions)

2 - The pinion is the thing that the driveshaft atteches to coming out of the rear right? I've not been focusing on that becuase the rear end is a different unit than the old one and the vibration is the same.

My gut tells me that the vibration does have something to do with the driveshaft and/or rear end. I am hoping to get some sun today or tomorrow so I can go out and get back on the highway.

One thing that the car does is that if you are at speeds above 65-70 (about) and you let off of the gas, there is a load 'roar' from the back of the car. It doesn't do it at any lower speeds. Could this be the pinion?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts