Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Interesting way of attaching the cowl tag...

·
13,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that's pretty bad. Stuff like this always makes me wonder about how some of the other things were done during the restoration.

My favorite cowl tag attaching method was the guy who threaded a piece of wire through the firewall holes, then through the tag and twisted the 2 ends together in the front:rolleyes:.

Bob

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
Yeah, that's pretty bad. Stuff like this always makes me wonder about how some of the other things were done during the restoration.
Believe it or not, those are actually the factory screws for the cowl tag! I think GM changed from rivets to screws like that sometime around '73 on the Nova cowl tags.

The cowl tags on both my '74 & '77 are attached with that exact same style of combo phillips / hex head screw. As are the tags on all of my '73 & newer parts cars, along with other examples I've seen in junkyards, etc.

·
13,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Believe it or not, those are actually the factory screws for the cowl tag! I think GM changed from rivets to screws like that sometime around '73 on the Nova cowl tags.

The cowl tags on both my '74 & '77 are attached with that exact same style of combo phillips / hex head screw. As are the tags on all of my '73 & newer parts cars, along with other examples I've seen in junkyards, etc.
Thanks for posting this, Ray. Haven't seen a tag on one of these cars in ages and had forgotten they had this method of attachment. Here's another '74 currently on eBay with the same screws.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Chevrolet-Nova-SS-350-tach-posi-bucket-seats-survivor/153296060191?hash=item23b1283f1f:g:5Q0AAOSw1Tdb8u68:rk:17:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts