Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an idea where to look for info on how to tuck the front bumper on a 73 Ventura? I've tried dozens of google searches and only turned up how to tuck the rear bumper. I've seen cars on Ventura specific sites with tucked bumpers but no info on how it was done. I have the GM parts catalog with part explosions and part numbers but no one has NOS 71-72 Ventura front bumper brackets (weird I know, you'd think they would be at every local parts store) I can fab or modify a bracket but knowing where to start would be helpful.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 71 Ventura and plan on doing the same thing. Sadly I have neither a front bumper or brackets, the two things im missing to complete the car and tracking them down just seems to be a 6+ month task. Not having the parts I cant tell you word for word but I would assume possibly re drilling the holes on the bracket where it goes to the frame to get it back another inch or so? Thats what I was thinking at least....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I had considered drilling the bracket that mounts to the frame and that may yield an inch but I was looking for more than that. GM added an inner structure to the bumpers to meet the new impact regulations and that's where most of the increased distance comes from, not to mention weight. The bumper didn't change it's the same as the 72 bumper. I've been looking at getting a set of 72 Nova bumper brackets and modifying them but without seeing them it's hard to know if they will even be close to the mounting positions on the Ventura bumper. If they were I could bend, grind or weld them to work and be safe but I'm not interested in buying repo's to find out they aren't even close.

I looked in to 74's since I had seen many of them with tucked bumpers. They rebadged the Ventura as the GTO in 74, and i (wrongly) thought enough people restore GTO's even the unpopular ones there has to be a reproduction part, but they don't and they used different style bumpers and impact absorbing shock like brackets which I've read are fairly easy to modify, but they won't work on 73's so no luck there either.

My options at this point are modifying the inner structure or fabricating one off brackets. It would be nice to find someone that's done it.

I found a guy parting out a 73 Ventura on ebay while looking for a tail light lense if I find anything I'll let you know.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had considered drilling the bracket that mounts to the frame and that may yield an inch but I was looking for more than that. GM added an inner structure to the bumpers to meet the new impact regulations and that's where most of the increased distance comes from, not to mention weight. The bumper didn't change it's the same as the 72 bumper. I've been looking at getting a set of 72 Nova bumper brackets and modifying them but without seeing them it's hard to know if they will even be close to the mounting positions on the Ventura bumper. If they were I could bend, grind or weld them to work and be safe but I'm not interested in buying repo's to find out they aren't even close.

I looked in to 74's since I had seen many of them with tucked bumpers. They rebadged the Ventura as the GTO in 74, and i (wrongly) thought enough people restore GTO's even the unpopular ones there has to be a reproduction part, but they don't and they used different style bumpers and impact absorbing shock like brackets which I've read are fairly easy to modify, but they won't work on 73's so no luck there either.

My options at this point are modifying the inner structure or fabricating one off brackets. It would be nice to find someone that's done it.

I found a guy parting out a 73 Ventura on ebay while looking for a tail light lense if I find anything I'll let you know.

Yeah as I know the 71-72 bumpers are the same, the 73-74 bumper styles changed and had a rear reinforcment on them along with the front impact strip on most if not all of them. The bumper tuck looks alot cleaner unlike the factory step ladder that they have even my 71 sticks out a LITTLE bit too much for my liking thats why I would like to go back a inch, if you spot a bumper LMK.
Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
this is my 74 nova, we completely took the inner bumper out and tucked them.

rear bumper brackets

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your right the bumpers did change, I had to take a closer look at them once I read your post. It looks like they may share bolt locations for brackets between 72 and 73 but only because it looks like the 73's have a million holes in them under the impact strip. I think I'm going to make some brackets that pull it in and leave the inner structure it'll hold up better against deer and if I feel the need to stop a train.

Nice work on the front and rear tuck. I really like the brackets you fab'd.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have managed to get just shy of 2" by modifying my stock brackets (a hair between 1 7/8" and 1 15/16" which gives me 1 1/8" gap at the bumper guard. It looks good for now

·
Registered
74 Posts
There is a guy on ebay selling his ventura and used a camaro front bumper and valence. looked real good. I can get you the listing if you want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts