Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting my '63 together. Just rebuilt the vent windows. I think I have them together properly. I installed the felt and window wipe/chrome before installing the vent windows. I think that's the best way. I'm not sure if the vent seal should go over or under the chrome trim?? Next I have to install the windows, so if anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate it. I did find a decent youtube video, but my concern is they didn't have the wipes or felts in.

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I tucked the seal under the trim with a trim stick as shown in the first pic. I found some pics I took before taking the car apart and I believe that's correct.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response! I did the passenger window yesterday. What a PIA. That is if you don’t know what you’re doing, (that’s me). Not sure this is the best way, but it’s how I did it.
The inside fuzzy should be installed before installing the vent window. Remove the door latch/rod/and the thing the door handle attaches to. They will get in the way.
Remove the outer chrome strip/wiper that runs along the top of the door. Remove the roller guide attached to the door with two screws.
Remove the rear window channel held be two chrome screws in the rear of the door.
Remove the two stops on the rear of the door.
Place the regulator in the bottom of the door. The vent window needs to be in position, no fasteners attached so you can lift it up a down a bit to get the screw into the front of the chrome piece. The screw is under the vent window. Attach the chrome piece to the bottom of the glass. Two machine screws hold it in.
Slide the glass down into the door. Line it up in the front slide and let it rest on the bottom stop that's in the center of the door.
Move the regulator around to get both rollers into the slot in the chrome piece under the glass. You may have to turn the window handle up/down to get them in, and then rotate it again to move the regulator into position so you can install the four screws that hold it to the door.
Now you can install the single roller into the roller guide and install the two screws that hold the guide to the door. Crank the window up. Install the rear guide. Install the upper and lower stops. Now you can move the stops around and the roller guide so that window rolls all the up/down and is level.
Lift up the vent window an inch or so. Line up the clips on the chrome strip/wiper and snap it in place. Install the screw under the vent. Now you can install the vent fasteners/door latch, etc.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's another tip:
If you have to rivit one of the brackets to the window fuzzy guides, either when replacing the vent seals, or the bracket on the rear glass guide, you can put the rivits in with your rivit gun as usual, then use a punch and hammer to flatten the rivit so it doesn't touch the glass. I used a brass punch. Also if a bracket on the rear guide is loose (one of mine was), the hammer/punch can be used to tighten them up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts