Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing new vent window seals on my "66 SS. I bought new rivets from Chevy II Only for the hinges. The new rivets have a shoulder on them. When I installed the first one I got the rivet in real tight but the hinge is real loose due to the shoulder on the rivet. Is there a washer or something else that goes between the bracket on the window frame and the hinge bracket to tighten it up?

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I went through the same thing, ended up using bigger and shorter rivets. Most repo parts need some form of modification.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I just finished mine on my 66, I didn't remove the hinge rivet but instead removed the two rivets on the the frame. Then replaced them with 5/32 aluminum pop rivets. They turned out real nice, painting the frame and then spraying 409 on the seals made them really slippery and easy to install. This is also a good time to replace the front glass track channel fuzzie.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jjj,
I would have done it the way you did it too, but the guy that had the car before me removed the rivet and replaced it with a pop rivet so I am trying to fix it. Is there anything like a wave washer or a spacer or something between your vent window bracket and the hinge bracket or maybe under the head of the rivet? I have installed new weatherstripping on one of the windows already and I used Armour-All for a lube. Worked great. It's a little tough without some sort of lube.
BP

·
Registered
788 Posts
The vent gasket

can be a bugger to slide into the channel. I have tried soapy water and a few other things I thought might work. I settled with Sil_Glide. A silicone compound you can buy at all hardware stores and appliance parts houses. (appliance tech by trade) I have used this stuff for many years to slide all sorts of rubhber into difficult places.

I too have found the available rivets are too long. Ha, I just grab another vent instead of breing frustrated and take the frame off instead of the hinge as previously suggested.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I took mine off the hinge, and replaced them with pop-rivets. It worked fine.

I didn't use any slippery stuff on mine, I worked it in with a small screwdriver and a lot of patience.

I'll try 409 on the passenger's side.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
jjj,
I would have done it the way you did it too, but the guy that had the car before me removed the rivet and replaced it with a pop rivet so I am trying to fix it. Is there anything like a wave washer or a spacer or something between your vent window bracket and the hinge bracket or maybe under the head of the rivet? I have installed new weatherstripping on one of the windows already and I used Armour-All for a lube. Worked great. It's a little tough without some sort of lube.
BP
There is nothing between window bracket and the head of the rivet, it sounds like what you are saying is the rivet is too long? I have seen the replacement rivets for sale on Chevy II only.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jjj,
Thanks for the reply. Actually the shoulder on the rivet is too long. I guess I'll have to make a spacer of some sort. The rivets I have came from Chevy II Only.
BP

·
Registered
681 Posts
jjj,
Thanks for the reply. Actually the shoulder on the rivet is too long. I guess I'll have to make a spacer of some sort. The rivets I have came from Chevy II Only.
BP
Yes, I forgot to mention, I also used a washer on each of the rivets as well.

I bought them at Lowe's. Standard almuinum rivets.

Dw

1 - 10 of 10 Posts