Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of beehive valvesprings on ebay last month. They were suppose to be Compcams 26918 springs with a 125 lbs seat and 370 lbs per inch with a 600 lift max.

I had the springs check out yesterday and they appear to be closer to a stock LS3 spring with 90 (actually 86 lbs) seat (1.8 inch), 125 lbs at 1.7 and coil bind at 1.1 inch with 345 lbs. They have about 378 lbs per inch.

I plan to keep the springs now. If they work on the big valves in an LS3, they should work on my ZZ4 with 1.6 rockers. My question is, how should I set them up?

I'm using them in a ZZ4 with 1.6 rockers. I'll have about .544 lift on the exhaust. I'm thinking I can set them up at 1.75 inch with will give me about 105 lbs seat pressure. I could set them a 1.78 so I could put a little bigger cam in.

I know beehive valve springs are better at controlling valves and these are designed to control larger valves with a .550 lift cam to 6600 RPM. I'm just concerned about dropping below the 100 lbs seat pressure which is what the stock ZZ4 springs are.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Did you check them with a retainer?

If so then I'd try and set them up closer to 1.70" and get the pressures you need. Just throw an additional .030" shim in the mix and get the I.H. down to 1.72".. It's not gonna leave you much room for growth (lift-wise) but they'll get the job done.:rolleyes:

One more person burned by flea-bay...

·
Registered
328 Posts
If it is a hyd roller profile aftermarket you want at least 125# on the seat if not more. Seat pressure as far as my opinion goes is what is crititcal. You have to control that lifter on the closing side and keep the valve from bouncing on the seat.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. The stock springs for this cam are 100 lbs at the seat. 1.74 is about my minimum height to maintain .100 clearance from coil bind.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Thanks guys. The stock springs for this cam are 100 lbs at the seat. 1.74 is about my minimum height to maintain .100 clearance from coil bind.
Sounds like you got duped and need to buy another set of springs.......AGAIN...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm stuck with these. They may not be what I wanted, but they will work. I'll probably set them at 1.750 - 1.740. That should put me at 105 - 109 lbs of seat pressure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts