Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
on a stock pro torker head from rhs, if the valves were changed to a normal size valve from a .100 longer valve how much lift capability would you lose?
varies by spring.. but any where from .025 to .100" to .150" depending on springs

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
on a stock pro torker head from rhs, if the valves were changed to a normal size valve from a .100 longer valve how much lift capability would you lose?
You don't lose lift capability. Longer stems allow more installed height. More installed height gives you more room until coil bind.
Keep in mind you'll more than likely need different length pushrods to restore geometry, but since you don't want stockers anyway, it's no big deal.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well here is the thing. i think my heads were bought bare because i know they were ported and what not. then i bought them on ebay from a guy. he put in springs that were good till .600 lift. i think they were double springs. i did have a the edelbrock performer rpm cam that has a lift of .510 i ended up having a spring only one brake but its because of to long pushrods (beginners luck :no:) so i got the springs that comp said to get for my new cam and the cam i have now is a comp part number 12-239-3. i know the springs are single ones but the installed hight is the same. i wanna get more lift out of it so i was going to put in 1.6 rockers which would put the lift to .512 on the one side. would that work or should i just do maybe 1.52 on one side and 1.6 on the other? by the way i have stamped steel rockers right now...not the greatest thing. oh and i prefer the self alining rockers.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I'm sure I understand what you are saying. If you have non standard parts, then standard assumptions go out the window.
First you need to measure your available installed height. That's the distance from the bottom of the retainer to the spring seat. You may find that you'll need a different spring than what's recommended for normal stem installed heights.
I'm sure Comp Cams has a tech page showing all this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts