Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Solid cam is calling for .026 of lash. Is that to be set hot or cold? Also doesn't that sound kind of loose? I have 1.5 Roller rockers on Intake and 1.6 on Exhaust, Was thinking about switching them around. Should I have to worry about any clearance issues with Valves? The heads are angle milled .125 and the deck has been cut and I have .125 pop up pistons. Things are pretty tight in there. I just want to make sure the larger 2.02 valve isn't going to introduce its self to the piston if I swap the rockers around

Cam is a solid lifter:
Operating Range: 4000-7500 RPM
Duration Advertised: 290° Intake / 298° Exhaust
Duration @ .050'' Lift: 252° Intake / 260° Exhaust
Valve Lift w/1.5 Rockers: .536'' Intake / .554'' Exhaust
Lobe Separation Angle: 112°

·
Registered
163 Posts
That is what they should be when hot. Is this a new build, since you're asking about clearance? Regardless, clearance should be checked, even if you're just talking about moving the 1.6 rockers to the intakes. Going from 1.5 to 1.6 on the intake ups your lift to about .571 I believe, definately enough to get in trouble with.

If you have aluminum heads I think it's common to adjust them cold the first time .004 - .006 tight. Then check them after warming up to see where they are.

Iron heads I think about .004 loose when cold.

Either way you need to verify when hot.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That is what they should be when hot. Is this a new build, since you're asking about clearance? Regardless, clearance should be checked, even if you're just talking about moving the 1.6 rockers to the intakes. Going from 1.5 to 1.6 on the intake ups your lift to about .571 I believe, definately enough to get in trouble with.

If you have aluminum heads I think it's common to adjust them cold the first time .004 - .006 tight. Then check them after warming up to see where they are.

Iron heads I think about .004 loose when cold.

Either way you need to verify when hot.
No Its not a new build I just pulled the motor this winter to fix some oil leaks and add a new intake. Someone on here asked if I ever tried switching the 1.6's to the intake instead of the exhaust. They are not Aluminum Heads. They're 492 casting camel hump 2.02 1.60's with titanium valves and retainers that have had alot of port work done to them along with the angle mill. So you're saying to set them to .004 cold then run the motor for a bit then check again and make sure they are @ .026?

·
Registered
163 Posts
No, no. I should've been more clear. When I said .004 tight I meant tighter than the card calls for. So, if it says .026 then try setting them at .022 when cold for example. That's just to get you in the ball park. But since you have iron heads you should set them at .030 cold and then check them after it warms up. They should've tightened up some. I hope I'm not confusing this even more.

By the way, most people it seems do have better luck with the 1.6's on the intake side. Let us know how that works out. I wish I had some to try on mine.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, no. I should've been more clear. When I said .004 tight I meant tighter than the card calls for. So, if it says .026 then try setting them at .022 when cold for example. That's just to get you in the ball park. But since you have iron heads you should set them at .030 cold and then check them after it warms up. They should've tightened up some. I hope I'm not confusing this even more.

By the way, most people it seems do have better luck with the 1.6's on the intake side. Let us know how that works out. I wish I had some to try on mine.
Great I understand now. I bought the motor last year and it was setup like that with the two diff ratio rockers and stud girdles. I'll let you know how I make out as soon as it warms up a bit in this damn state

1 - 5 of 5 Posts