Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone gets upset, i am not trying to ruffle feathers,
I wanted input on values of some 4th Gens
Specifically 75/6 SS and 77/8 Rallys in mint condition.
Looking for #2 cars.
I was looking at a couple here in Ontario. Some might even be members here.
I am not type of guy to cut someones car up based on price. I either can't afford it or they love it more than I am willing to pay.
But in my pea sized brain and knowledge of cars in general and specifically 4th gens...What value do you place on these cars in a #1 and #2 condition?
In my opinion. I dont think they are worth anymore than $15-$18,000(Canadian)(about $12k american) for a #1 or really nice #2 car in a true SS model or Rally? I mean turn key, take it to a car show and have a very clean restored 4th gen,
What are your thoughts? Current price today, not 20 years ago when ya bought it.
I appreciate yout input, thank you,

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I think maybe for a really really pristine, modified example, you might be able to squeak closer to $15-18k, but it would have to be a really nice one.

There aren't many stock 4th gens that will fetch big money - they just aren't really that attractive, fast or rare from the factory.

Kev

·
13,064 Posts
Just to put this in perspective, a #1 car is described as restored to current professional standards in every respect, or a perfect original appearing as new. A 95 plus point car that isn't driven. An excellent car.

A #2 car is well restored, or a combination of superior restoration and excellent original. Also, an extremely well maintained original showing minimal wear. A fine car.

A #3 car is a completely operable original or older restoration showing some wear. Also, a good amateur restoration that's presentable and serviceable inside and out. Also, a combination of well-done restoration, good operating components, or a partially restored car with all parts necessary to complete, and/or valuable NOS parts. A very good car.

The last 3 condition classes are #4 Good, #5 Restorable and #6 Parts Car. Hagerty has the complete list here:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2004/10/17/Car-Conditions-What-The-Numbers-Mean

Remember, that 4th generation SS and Rally models were scarce even in their day and there are not very many still around. Finding a #1 car might be impossible. A #2 would still be difficult and could be a lengthy search with travel. I think the #3 category might provide a car, but still might take a lot of time and travel. I think we have to ask ourselves how many 'unmessed with' 4th gen SS and/or Rally cars do we see at shows, on eBay, at public auctions or being privately sold.

Bob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks Bob, yup, thats exactly as I described what I am looking for....the unicorn....lol....
With some luck, the internet....I might find something close. Im not looking to flip. Im to sick for this ***** anymore. I want my forever last one.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hemmings Price Guide

2018 hemmings price guide has the same six condition ratings as Hagerty's in their manual.

1975 2 dr coupe #1 condition $7100 add 10% for 350 V-8 add 20% for SS
so $7100 + $2130 = $9230
1976 2dr coupe #1 condition $5600 add 15% for 350 V-8 add 5% for SS
so $5600 + $1120 = $6720
1977 2dr coupe #1 condition $6500 add 15% for 350 V-8 No SS listed
so $6500 + $975 = $7475
1978 2dr coupe #1 condition $6800 add 15% for 350 V-8 No SS listed
so $6800 + $1020 = $7920
1979 2dr coupe #1 condition $6300 w/ V-8 deduct 10% for 6 cyl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts