Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been searching the interweb looking for a discussion on this. The question is "How much is originality worth?" Example, I have a bunch of parts that I took off my 65 nova. They're sitting on my shelves collecting dust. Someone wants to buy them. They are all parts that came on the car back in 1965. Does that add value? You can buy mostly anything you need now days that's "original" for not all that much money from a lot of good companies. I know there's people that have to have it OG but at what cost, if any?

·
13,713 Posts
The 1965 Chevy II was a 'one year' car in many ways. A lot of parts, especially trim, were '65 only and can be hard to find. Others were 1st generation common to '62-65 and easier to come up. What kind of parts do you have?

Bob

·
Super Moderator
3,841 Posts
Good question. I think that has changed quite a bit over the last 10-15 years.

The answer is really it varies person to person. That's not a satisfactory answer, but it really is an individual valuation. More and more, Chevy II and Nova owners are using aftermarket parts, removing hard-to-find original trim and upgrading all the mechanicals of their Novas. Truth be told, an LS conversion gets way better power for less weight and is so much more efficient; modern 5 or 6 speed manuals or automatics with overdrive are dependable upgrades, and suspension modifications might be the most important ones for improved drivability. So more owners are wanting these non-original changes, both in building their own cars AND in purchasing already rebuilt/'restored'/hotrodded Novas. Upgrades cost $, a majority of the owners see many of them as increasing the value. I'm a big proponent about doing what you want with your own car.

I'm of the other school, and originality is something I value. A lot of other owners value it as well, and try to keep their car as original as possible. Hard to do, as there has been much demand over the last 30 years or so for original parts, and NOS and good used parts supplies have dwindled down, and are very expensive. But keeping it stock still matters to some owners, and increases the value of these cars in their eyes.

The cases where originality matters most comes when there is a Nova or Chevy II that is rare and desirable, or at least desirable, in it's originally sold form. Usually these are SS models, factory V-8 models, cars specially ordered with high performance engines from the factory, or have 4-speed transmissions, or other rare options. A hatchback with an original V-8 with no rust and in original condition is a prized vehicle because it is uncommon, is in original condition and hard to find anymore. '66 L79 cars immediately lose potential value with each change from original: different block, transmission, rear end, missing key original parts. So it really depends on the car and what the owner wants to do with the car.

Original parts in good condition will always have value, with a few exceptions being things like first and second generation front end parts, 4 door rear doors, and things where the reproduction parts are good, or better than original and affordable.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Guess I'll take my stab at this. The answer to me is easy and logical when you look at old cars as art. Think about a painting, let's say it's an "Abstract". Then think there is another painting that is "Western Style". Which one is worth more? Depends. How old are they?, who painted them? who has owned them in the past. etc..... But think about a third painting that is a mix of "Abstract" and "Western Style", what's it worth. Really had to tell. This is where anytime I am involved with a car, I think it is important to set a Theme to the car that you are trying to achieve. Is it an "All Original"?, Is it an "Pro Mod"? or "Pro Street"? etc..... I think for value purposes the car needs to be as true to the theme as possible. A mixture of themes on a car makes the car very personal to the owner and devalue's the car on the open Market. The more the car excels in one consistent theme, the more it will be worth to a buyer. If you are doing an "All Original" car, then you need to stick with mostly "Original" type colors on the car. If you are doing a Pro Mod car, you have more liberty color wise. As far as original parts vs. Aftermarket goes, The more original or NOS parts you can use on an "All Original" type build, the more authentic or correct the car will appear. It doesn't mean using aftermarket parts are incorrect on an "all Original" build because many of the aftermarket parts are dead nut ringers for the NOS parts. Then again, some are not. I think the more NOS parts you use on an "All Original" type build, the more it values the car. I don't think it makes a hill of beans to use NOS or Aftermarket on a "Pro Street Build". No one really cares that all the Sheet metal is all original on a highly modified "Pro Mod" car. But 98% Original sheet metal on an "all Original" build seems to me to worth more than an "All original" build with all new Sheet metal car. So back to the original poster's question, are the original parts that he took off his 65 Nova worth anything. The answer is that they are to the right guy whose is looking for them. They are worth nothing to the guy who is looking to put as much aftermarket parts on his car as possible. I would say, you need to figure out 2 things. First it, how rare are the parts you have, other words, how hard are they to find, and how hard are they to find in the condition that yours are in. Secondly how many people are even looking for those parts? I have said this a million times, rare parts(hard to find) are worth nothing if no one is looking for them and somewhat easier to find parts are worth a fortune when thousands of people are looking for them. Understanding exactly what you have is crucial. Especially if you have parts that only came on early model year cars. Those parts are very difficult to come buy when you are trying to build a truly accurate car and your car was built in September or October. And as stated above, always apply the rules of Supply and Demand. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great responses so far. This is more of a philosophical question. Like mentioned, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. What started it was a guy said he would buy all my spare parts I had(front end parts, body parts, interior and exterior, just a bunch of stuff). Then I cracked open a sweet ice tea as I'm putting together a package deal and thought about what is originally worth. Yall can tell me to shut my "under the influence of ice tea" ass up and just take his money if yall want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts