Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used an electric vacuum pump on the street? I'm running low tension rings and they are not wanting to seat with the mufflers and I'm getting alot of blow by.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I had an engine that didn't seal up right away..an engine builder friend had me go on the highway and run it up in 2nd to about 3500 then let off and come down to almost an idle, then up to about 4500, and back down, up to 5500, and down..........a couple miles and she was all sealed up. No guarantees, but it won't cost ya much to try. I don't know about an electric pump, but I've been told to remove the belt from mine when driving on the street, because the seals go away too fast.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I don't really think electric pumps really do much compared to a belt driven pump. Do a search around on the internet but I don't think many guys are running the electric pumps if they want any kind of performance advantage. I run my belt driven pump on the street, not every day, but I am not afraid to put miles on it. It's a GZ Motorsports pump and the oil mist that it suck in actually helps keep it lubricated and it pulls killer vacuum.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Electric vacuum pumps are as good as belt driven provided they are a pump designed for racing. Star Machine probably makes the best electric and belt driven pumps available. The little OEM type pumps or ones designed for power brakes etc. aren't worth using IMO. http://www.starvacuumpumps.com/viewPart.php?id=STR.04.06.000

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had no idea that Star made a pump.:eek: I am sure that's going to be a nice piece but I am sure the price is up there.
They are very nice with a retail price of $1,695.00, I'm sure you could purchase them cheaper

1 - 10 of 10 Posts