Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have ever had a vacuum leak that was tough to find, post what you found here. I'm sure there are some members that have had a tough leak that was not easy to locate. My car is a 66 with a 66 327 motor. I'm going to try using smoke to find mine. I'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Maybe not tough but Had a leak between the throttle body and the main body on a Holley, had a plug in the manifold that apparently didn’t have gas proof sealant on it. other places To look, vacuum advance canister same with brake booster, split or cracked fitting, cracked manifold, bad pcv valve.

·
Super Moderator
3,886 Posts
One of the ways I've seen them located is with an oil can and some engine oil. You can use other spray things, but I think a little thicker viscosity helps. It's messy, but flow some oil on ALL suspected points of possible vacuum leak with the car idling. If the idle picks up, the oil is momentarily sealing the hole and closing the leak. More often than I should have, I've had vacuum leaks from within the vacuum advance, but everyone has their favorites.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't see this one coming. The problem was that I had installed the L79 chrome valve covers and not installed the crank case vent tube. There are no vents on the L79 valve covers. I had totally forgotten about the need for the crank case vent.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
I didn't see this one coming. The problem was that I had installed the L79 chrome valve covers and not installed the crank case vent tube. There are no vents on the L79 valve covers. I had totally forgotten about the need for the crank case vent.
This is why pics help a lot when you ask for help.

·
Registered
70 Nova, 427, TKO600, Vintage Air, Terminator EFI
85 Posts
Nice! Good you got it sorted! Enjoy.
Ed D.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts