Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a vacuum leak somewhere and I can't find it?I must be overlooking something?What are some of the likely culprits?Carb,manifold vacuum lines?what else?thanks bm

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Carb base gasket, throttle shafts, intake gaskets, power brake booster or supply hose, Vacuum reservoir for heater or climate controls, transmission vacuum modulator pipe to hose.
I have my own smoke machine to find em..... a nice cigar works great.....relaxing too!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
With the motor idling, squirt some starter fluid around the suspected areas. If the motor picks up in rpm you have found the spot.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Carb base gasket, throttle shafts, intake gaskets, power brake booster or supply hose, Vacuum reservoir for heater or climate controls, transmission vacuum modulator pipe to hose.
I have my own smoke machine to find em..... a nice cigar works great.....relaxing too!
what isa smoke machine?

With the motor idling, squirt some starter fluid around the suspected areas. If the motor picks up in rpm you have found the spot.
My intake and carb are the endurashine...solvents will ruin the paint.thanks bm

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
A machine that makes smoke. You put it next to the motor and you can see where the motor is sucking the smoke in (like watching a mini tornado).

Now that I think about it, wonder if you could light a cigarette or cigar and do the same thing...???

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Vacuum Leak...Likely Culprit???

Hey Now BatMan, Smoke Machine woulda been me in the past, 3-4 packs a day, down to 1/2 pack now. Smoke Machine for Bees so you can calm them and steal their Honey, or to remove the Queen from the Swarm and cause the workers to leave. Smoke Machine for ground cover and sneaking and hiding from enemy, Dang ya know this list could go on and on and on and on...:):):) anyways, use a squirt bottle with ATF or Marvel Mystery oil. Start engine and spray squirt the likely suspects, uh culprits uh places where vacuum suction is possible. Respectfully, "Bill's" II

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Im not sure if it was said with all the talk about smoke signals and indians but...
Check your vacuum line to the power brake booster(if you have one). Also check the fitting on the back of the carburetor.

Check your PCV set up also, sometimes they can cause this.
When all else fails check everything. I had a customer come in with a vacuum leak he couldnt find and it was a fouled spark plug - Whoops

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I have found quite a few elusive vacuum leaks with smoke... works good if you smoke.....Take a big hit and start blowing smoke into a manifold source line....
A big nasty cigar works best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts