Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to connect a vacuum gauge to check the engine performance on a stock 194 ci with a manual transmission

·
Registered
193 Posts
Vacuum Gauge

You have a manual trans. so is there a metal plug in the intake manifold where the factory would have put a fitting to hook up the vacuum supply for the automatic tranny modulator ? That's the best hookup spot---the fittings are available .:)

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,758 Posts
my vacuum gauge hooked - up to my 'old stock 1bbl carb
.... click on the 'top bar' to enlarge the picture

#2 Look at the threaded hole in the 'stock intake manifold' -- that's where to hook - up your "vacuum gauge" fitting.

if you have a vacuum connection there already ---- just install a
" tee fitting "

#3 My vacuum gauge mounted inside

·
6,458 Posts
What is the best way to connect a vacuum gauge to check the engine performance on a stock 194 ci with a manual transmission
I've had a vacuum gauge on my 72 GMC for over 25 years. Autometer one that says gas miser on it. It's a good gauge to watch and learn how to drive more efficient. Your watch the gauge as you drive(when safe) and see the amount of vacuum per load and throttle position. Good also to have a reference vacuum reading at idle. If something is out of whack the vacuum gauge shows a lower reading. Some people set their timing using vacuum. Not sure how accurate that is though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my vacuum gauge hooked - up to my 'old stock 1bbl carb
.... click on the 'top bar' to enlarge the picture

#2 Look at the threaded hole in the 'stock intake manifold' -- that's where to hook - up your "vacuum gauge" fitting.

if you have a vacuum connection there already ---- just install a
" tee fitting "

#3 My vacuum gauge mounted inside

Many thanks for all of the responses to my vacuum hookup question, does anybody know the size of the threaded hole in the intake manifold before I go out and get a fitting to install in the manifold.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts