Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 305 engine and v8 bracket going into my 63.
the driver side bracket fits perfect but the passengers side bracket is off. I can match one side and put the bolts in but the other side is of about a 1/8 in.
I tried putting pressure on it to align the holes and the bolt goes in when i turn it. My question is: is the tension the grade 8 bolts are experiencing because I pushed the bracket into alignment still safe to leave on or should I stop and remove the bolts?

Let me know what you guys think.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
loosen the bolts on both engine mounts and slide the engine onto the frame brackets... once the through bolts are in, tighten the engine mount bolts...

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Just asking....big bracket on drivers side...small on passenger side. Making sure ya got the right combo.

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Are the mounts on the block new?

If so, did you buy them cheap at a parts store and do they say "Made in India" on them?

If so, been there, done that, pure crap

I was rip roaring mad when I tried to put my 327 in. Even die grinding the holes on the engine mounts, loosening up all the bolts, pushing a taper punch in the holes to pry so they'd line up, it all failed. I trashed those pieces of junk, bought NOS mounts off ebay and the motor literally dropped right down perfectly, no wiggling, I just put both bolts in and put the nuts on!

Here is the India mounts. You may say "oh, that doesn't look bad" but believe me, if you had been there fighting with them....

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Are the mounts on the block new?

If so, did you buy them cheap at a parts store and do they say "Made in India" on them?

If so, been there, done that, pure crap

I was rip roaring mad when I tried to put my 327 in. Even die grinding the holes on the engine mounts, loosening up all the bolts, pushing a taper punch in the holes to pry so they'd line up, it all failed. I trashed those pieces of junk, bought NOS mounts off ebay and the motor literally dropped right down perfectly, no wiggling, I just put both bolts in and put the nuts on!

Here is the India mounts. You may say "oh, that doesn't look bad" but believe me, if you had been there fighting with them....

Carl:

You purchased NOS mounts on e-bay, what do you type in to search them out? How much should I look to spend on NOS 327 motor mounts?

Thanks for the information.

:ragtop:

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
I think I searched NOS 283 Nova mount, or 327 Nova mount, something like that. It was important to me that they were GM and I remember the listing had a picture of the mount installation instruction sheet that had the GM part number right on the page.

If I get a chance I will poke around on ebay and see what I can find.

I think I paid in the area of 60 or 70 bucks for the pair maybe?

Yes, lots of money compared to the cheap parts store mount but anything more than zero for those crappy parts store pieces is too much since they are useless.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i've never had an issue with mounts fitting, can't say i've ever purchased what i'd call a cheap mount though. although the prices weren't high, they were always name brand from a "reputable" auto part store... Napa, CarQuest etc...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Ditto what the Flyer said. I used Sealed Power mounts. No problems.

One problem with NOS is you don't know the age of them. Rubber breaks down over time.

Tim

·
Registered
982 Posts
get a buddy to help you, one issue may be your hoist is twisting the engine the tiniest bit one way. i thought i was going to have this problem, but i pulled the engines rear towards the passenger side while pushing on the bolt and it slid right in.

the problem was the hoist chain was making it face the drivers side more, so the one mount lined up perfect. but the other was just too damn off. after lowering a tiny bit, and pulling on it the other way. the bolt slides in no problem.

i bet it would also be easier if the mounts on the engine were loosened up a bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts