Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone swap out an inline 6 for a Vortec V6 into a 2nd Gen? I was thinking of doing this with my 66 Nova, but I don't know how much of a problem it would be with the computer, and such? I could probably pick up one of those 4.3L out of an S10 or Blazer pretty cheap, those are pretty good engines from what I hear anyways.

Steve

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
The 4.3 is a SBC without 2 cylinders.
I think that should be pretty easy except for the oil pan and headers. You'll probably have to fab your own.

·
Registered
890 Posts
My bro has a 4.3 v-6 in his 48 suburban.He is very happy with it.I think he is using a holley fuel injection set up.Took some tuning but he has it dialed now.I could ask if you need more info.Skull

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
skullboy said:
My bro has a 4.3 v-6 in his 48 suburban.He is very happy with it.I think he is using a holley fuel injection set up.Took some tuning but he has it dialed now.I could ask if you need more info.Skull
I'm not sure when they came out with the 4.3L, are there any that aren't computer controlled? I really wouldn't know where to start in hooking up a computer wiring harness....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
They made a carberated 4.3 V-6 that would help out on any computer issues. Also I think their are some companies that make a harness to do this in hot rods and such. The other option is when you get the engine take the complete engine harness and computer with it. If I were making a car that was going to see a lot of road time the vortech 4.3 would be an idea engine to have some nice power and fuel economy all in one.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Edelbrock makes carb intake manifolds for the 85-95 V6 and the 85 up V6 with Vortec heads.
They claim 202HP and 260 ft/lbs on a Marine 4.3L

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Giving up on the Inline...Booooooooo!

You are right if you think about all of the money you could spend on that 4.3. !!!

Probaly could make it a real mover too. BUT if you are thinking a Six why not keep it Inline? You can do quite a bit to the Inline to make it faster and more fun to drive. Weigh it out and think about it!

4.2 versus 4.3?

James

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fredsgarage.tv said:
You are right if you think about all of the money you could spend on that 4.3. !!!

Probaly could make it a real mover too. BUT if you are thinking a Six why not keep it Inline? You can do quite a bit to the Inline to make it faster and more fun to drive. Weigh it out and think about it!

4.2 versus 4.3?

James

A vortec v6 is more efficient, and more powerful than an inline 6 (even if the inline is mildly modified) Let's see.....I could probably get a good running 4.3L for less than the price of a inline intake manifold/header combo. What would be really cool is to find a wrecked or salvaged Syclone truck and pull the motor, that would really be a sleeper! :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have done this swap into a 66 Willy's Overland. Used the whole Engine and Harness out of a wrecked 99 T-10 GMC. If your gonna do this get the whole harness and PCM. Don't forget GROUNDS! hehe stumped me for about a day.

Good Luck
Jim

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
The '85 and '86 model 4.3's were carbed and found in Impalas, Monte Carlos and El Caminos. I think they went TBI in '87 or '88.

Yes it's possible to put a 4.3 in a Chevy II> I used to know of a kid that had one in his '66.

I've lost touch of him but his dad is friends with a guy named "Goob" over on maliburacing.com.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That would be unique. If you got the moter form the donor car, you could get the harness too, right? What kind of tranny are you gonna use?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I believe Edelbrock makes a 4bbl intake for theese engines. I have thought long and hard a bout this swap but I have too many v8 that I can use.

·
Registered
183 Posts
They went to TBI in 87.
You can get adapter plates to change a carburated to a throttle body injection or vice versa. Or as others have noted Edelbrock makes an intake manifold that is compatible with a carburetor, but why not use the wiring harness and computer. If you can't find one, Painless makes a harness for these and they go for about 300$. The other advantage is that you could run a 700R4 transmission and so gain in fuel economy and overall drivability of the overdrive. Good luck. I would be interested to hear how the swap goes.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I've been working on a Syclone 4.3 swap in a 3rd gen for a couple years now.
There is one guy that has done a Syclone swap in a 2nd gen.
Go to http://www.syty.net and ask for somebody that's done the swap.
A 4.3 is about 2" shorter than a small block, all the bolt holes on the front and the back are the same as a SBC as well.
They shortened the distance between the back of the engine and the motor mount bolt pads.
I don't know about a 2nd gen, but on my 3rd gen we bolted a transmission in the car then bolted the motor to the trans and then welded steel plates to the subframe and moved the motor mount towers back to the correct location.
I think Painless makes a harness for the Vortec motors, they don't make one for the Syclone motor though.:(

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah, that is what I was thinking...bolt in the trans first, then figure out the motor mounts..In the 67 the stock steering is under the oil pan, so I was thinking that would be a Big problem....?custom alum. pan??(I'm thinking of using an 2003 4.3) So I was thinking BillsII conversion would be the way to go??? I also would want to us the engine as it was in the truck..computer and all...What did you do as far as wiring???? Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm working on the same project.....

I'm in the middle of a 4.3 / 700R4 swap into my '63. It's all mocked up right now, except for the headers. I used a bowtie overdrive crossmember to correctly set the position of the trans (using a Vega driveshaft). The motor mounts, oil pan, and headers are the biggest challenges so far. I bolted a pair of plates to the block at the location of the factory motor mounts, which extended forward to a pair of V8 frame-to-motor mounts. I then custom-fabbed a set of U-shaped saddles out of some cut-apart square tubing for the link between the plates and the frame-to-motor mounts.

I am coverting to a Bills II rack and pinion setup (picking up the rack this afternoon), so that I can use a factory oil pan. You will find that a 4x4 4.3 oil pan out of an S-10 blazer will clear the rear-steer setup, but is probably too deep, especially if your car sits low.

I have a set of rare aluminum "Bowtie" 4.3 heads that were originally used on Busch cup stock cars back when they ran V6's. These are angle-plug heads, which require headers (factory cast iron exhaust will not work due to the angle plugs). I have a set of 4.3 headers designed for an El Camino / Malibu that I am modifying to work with the setup.

I am using the Edelbrock carbureted intake, and a factory 4.3 HEI distributor which does not require computer control. This will be "phase 1" of my ultimate project, which I intend to convert to fuel injection at a later date.

There are a couple of 4.3 powered early Novas around. The first one I remember was done by a guy named Mark Grimes, back in the late '80's. He was a top-notch rod/pro-street builder who built an absolutely drop-dead gorgeous '62 Nova with 4.3 and auto power.

There is another one one a well known rod-shops website (I'll post the link when I get home) using a 4.3 and 5-speed manual trans. That car also uses a TCI or Heidt's front end (I forgot which), making the exhaust and oil pan issues much easier, but at a definite cost.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
As already mentioned these motors were used in Nascar in the Busch Series and they can be made to go fast and there were alot of after market parts available. The early motors had a low RPM vibration which GM fixed with a counter shaft in the newer models. Nascar was running these motors in the Goodies Dash Cars when the series was dropped a couple years ago. Carburator intakes are/were available and may even be cheap if you could find them. If you do the puter set up that would be neat but don't forget the fuel pump that you need to feed that set up. Best of luck. RM
Ron Hutter in Chardon Ohio was the man on the Nascar 4.3 stuff. His engines were the best. If you could find his phone number he may have some parts or know where some are if you were interested. His shop used to be Trick Stuff Eng but I think it's Hutters Racing Engines now, not sure.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts