Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the Super Chevy Show in richmond this weekend and saw some amazing cars. I talked to a guy was has built a '63 Chevy II with a 4.3 liter V6( old Busch Series engine). He used a metal plate on the front of the engine as the motor mounts. The engine is backed by a Turbo 300. He is using the car as a street and strip car but mainly strip. My question to all you Chevylovers, has anyone else done a V6 swap and if so, is there information somewhere out on the web so that we can see how it is done. I love the look and I am sure I could get more power out of my car with a little more engine. any thoughts??:wow:

·
Registered
563 Posts
What engine do you have now? Im assuming an inline 6?

Lot of trouble to not have a V8 is my first thought-if its to be different then thats somthing else, but if its to get a lil more engine in the car then you could get allot more engine easier annd cheaper i think by just going V8...

Again, ive seen it before and know it can be done-it should be close to a V8 install...im just not sure why anyone would want to do this...

·
Registered
821 Posts
It's a dated trend to me - very '80's and not as cool as either an inline 6 (always cool in my book!) or a V8. If you want to go with a 6, how about a nicely built 250, maybe put 2 or 3 carbs on it to really look exotic, and you'll have something cool and different!:yes:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but has anyone ever put in a late model inline 6 from the Trailblazer SUV? I've heard it has pretty good power and mileage, that would be an interesting swap!

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,869 Posts
I thought that motor was to have 300hp.
It would be cool to see, but not for me. Have you seen a Inglese (?) carb set up ? Very sick looking side drafts or the two 2-bbls for a 4-bbl replacment. Costs more than most engines i've seen !!! :wow:

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Except for Exh

the install will be the same as a V8

The engine mounts are the same just moved back.
transmission bolt up identical to in-line 6 or V8.

The accessory drive, water pump ext will be the same as a V8

those engine make good torque.

I would like to install a Complete Vortec 4.3 & trans in our 65 wagon.

But will be a long time before this happens!

Al

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Except for Exh

the install will be the same as a V8

The engine mounts are the same just moved back.
transmission bolt up identical to in-line 6 or V8.

Al
Does move the transmission up into the engine bay? It would be helpful if you install a TKO or T-56.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks everyone for their input. the reason I am thinking about this is (1) to have an engine that I can get best horsepower out of ,(2) to be different and finally (3) because I think it is cool.:yes: I currently have the standard drivetrain, I6 and powerglide.

Question for Big Al, you say that the install is the same as the V8 swap. What about the oil pan, will that have to be switched over? Also what other areas of concern that needs to be addressed.

Thanks again for everyones input.:cool::cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm working on it right now. I have a 4.3V6 "mocked up" in my engine bay. The motor mounts have been custom fabbed, but aren't too exotic, and still use a factory style rubber insert.

I'm using a set of angle plug aluminum "Bowtie" V6 heads, probably a lot like the set you saw at the show. I am currently at the stage of fabbing up a set of headers. I started with a set of G-body V6 headers, and just started slicing and dicing to make them fit.

I've got a 700R4 tranny bolted in place with a Bowtie Overdrives mount, which puts the engine in the correct location to the firewall, etc.

It's not too much different than a V8 swap, except for the engine mounting and exhaust. Nobody makes the correct headers, and I found that factory truck-style cast exhaust would not fit.

My plan is to use a factory TBI injection setup on an aftermarket aluminum intake, trying to keep it as "factory" as possible.

There is another guy on the forum "JRChevy" I believe, who is also working on an injected 4.3 V6 swap.

SteveM.

·
Registered
134 Posts
More details.....

I am running a CPP mini-subframe on the front with a Rack & Pinion conversion. This allows me to use a regular 2WD S-10 oil pan. If your car still has the standard rear-steer setup, this style of oil pan may not work. A 4WD s-10 oil pan will clear the rear-steer setup, but those pans are pretty deep (may cause ground clearance issues if your car sits low).

The rear of the engine stays in the same position as a V8. The additional "free space" is located between the front of the engine and the radiator. Plenty of room there for turbos, intercooler, etc. if you are so inclined.

I am also using a "mid mount" alternator bracket to keep the alternator tucked in close to the centerline of the engine. The shock towers and crossmember can cause problems with other alternator mounting positions.

SteveM

·
6,404 Posts
The V6 in the new Camaros is an awesome engine. 300 horsepower and good gas mileage plus light weight. With space in front of the engine for some sort of power adder, I wouldn't be surprise of engines capable of near 500 hp is possible. I have no idea what the engine looks like but hopefully it'll be the foundation of a new era of hot rodding.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I went to the Super Chevy Show in richmond this weekend and saw some amazing cars. I talked to a guy was has built a '63 Chevy II with a 4.3 liter V6( old Busch Series engine). He used a metal plate on the front of the engine as the motor mounts. The engine is backed by a Turbo 300. He is using the car as a street and strip car but mainly strip. My question to all you Chevylovers, has anyone else done a V6 swap and if so, is there information somewhere out on the web so that we can see how it is done. I love the look and I am sure I could get more power out of my car with a little more engine. any thoughts??:wow:
I just finished my son's 62. I salvaged a 92 4.3L V6. Installed Holley Commander 950-19S 400 cfm TBI. Backed up to a TH 350. Sanderson headers.
Had to make custom motor mount plates to push the mtor back & keep the trans in the stock mount
Still getting some fine tuned bugs out. But I like it. Tomorrow the car gets loaded on a truck to NAS Jacksonville tomorrow. He is a Navy corpsman stationed in Jacksonville FL.
Stock steering made headers a pain. Passenger side is a CV-95 blockhugger shorty. Driver is a custom CV-08 to clear the steering box. But it didn't quite work so I had to dimple #1 tube & #3 tube to clear. My design & calculation was off a bit. Rack & pinion will take care of this issue.
Sanderson is a great outfit the worked with me to build what I asked. Not the fastest, but great customer service.
I need a TCI Sizzler torque converter, stock is too low of a stall to get the torque out of the cam. To make bigger power you will need a 950-20S 670 cfm TBI 2Bbl or a 4 bbl set up. I got the smaller TBI to put on the L6. but it threw a rod out the block & died an ugly mess. That is why it is only a 400 cfm unit. PM me or e-mail me [email protected] if you want more :D :usnavy: :usa: :beer1:

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Does move the transmission up into the engine bay? It would be helpful if you install a TKO or T-56.
Most GM engines are installed with RFOB (Rear Face of Block) at the same location. This is how GM was able to put different engines transmissions in the same platform.
When swapping engines it's often practical to hang the engine with the trans bolted to the cross member and at the proper installation angle. I think it's 3 degrees or just level the carb pad. Center the engine and then measure for mounts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Blue62 thanks for the details on your 62. I followed what you did for the most part. Can you followup on the motor mounts and did you have to have a custom drive shaft?? I like the uniqueness of a project like this

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm impressed.. this is about the exact swap i've been thinking of. My 64 is my daily driver, so mileage is nice to have, and the vortec v6 from a late 90s s10 is cheap and easy to come by and has pretty good power too. I'll be interested to hear more about this... and to start looking for one of these engines :devil:

i'm curious about the driveshaft too.. would it have to be custom?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts