Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they worth buying?
I thought I read something that said they have a shelf life or something like that?

I have no problem buying new, just curious cause the new 406 has much more punch then the lil ol 355 had and its going to need traction!

Also going to a taller slick from 26/10 to 28/10 and new gears 4.30's.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Chris

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Be certain to know who you're buying them from, exactly how old they are, how much meat is left on them and if there are any cuts anywhere on them.

If you don't have an answer for any of the items listed, don't buy them!

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Our slicks last about 30 passes and they are toast. They still have plenty of rubber left but it's the sidewalls that break down. How much rubber is left on them is only part of the equation. The environmental conditions they are stored in also are a factor on how long they last or how they will work. I know some guys who have dragsters in some of the "Super" bracket classes will use take-offs from ProMod class cars as they are still usable for what they are doing. I just would never think of trying used slicks unless I knew where they came, had less than a handful of runs on them, and were new the same season.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree with most the other responses...Id stay away from used slicks. its not so much how much meat they have left on them but how long theyve been sitting, were they bagged/prepped, sidewall condition etc...Now if your looking for some cheapo type to break in a motor/testing etc....definitely save yourself a few bucks, or if youre getting them from someone you know that ran a few passes and found out they were the wrong size or whatever then definitely give them a whirl...udderwise bite the bullet and go new...I hate admitting this but Ive cost myself waaaaay more money in the long run trying to save a few bucks initially vs just buying new right away...budgets absolutely suck, but peace of mind is priceless :yes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts