Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found some good buys on top end parts used in circle track racing. Does anyone have any EXPERIENCE:D with this stuff? I know they run at sustained RPM much longer than street/strip motors, but what can wear out on a set of heads? Guides, valve seats, what else. Some of these packages include shaft rockers and roller lifters. I would be leary of the lifers but have no experience with shaft rockers. What should I watch out for other than a spread port design, angle milling or expoxy porting?

Thanks Scott

·
Registered
386 Posts
The used oval track stuff can be very rewarding on saving some bucks. If you buy from teams with big sponsors,alot of times they are selling off parts that the sponsors paid for and are making pocket cash.Sometimes they just sell it to buy something new to keep up with the faster guys. I have one of my old modified 377s in our Nova.It's got probably 30 races on it on methenol and turned 7500 rpms every night. In a street car it should last forever. I have racing friends that have old race motors in tow vehicles for years. Only buy a Maged used crank or rods,they are the most stressed. As for heads,steel or aluminum? Afermarket racing heads are fine as long as nothing grenaded with them. Shaft mounted rockers,look for rough bearing feel,cracked shafts or flat spots on the tips.Also check the pushrod cups, guys will run a motor that's not running on all 8 to finish a race,bent pushrod,bad spring,cups get beat.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Racer77. Sounds like good common sense advice. I worried about the run time on these parts being an issue.

Scott

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
If you're looking at the SB 2.2 stuff, MAKE SURE you get the shaft rockers and lifters as a package deal.:yes: They are custom machined a lot of times for proper fit.

Be aware that on the x-NASCAR stuff out there that the rods generally use odd sized bearing journals and widths and the cranks have already been balanced to some ludicrously light rotating assemblies and have the same odd sized journals so they generally require quite a bit of work to get used in a "Normal" build. And the balancing bill (because of the heavy metal needed) will be up there.

Other circle track stuff needs attention paid to the common wear points. Valve tips mushroomed, guides ok, look at the valve locks and retainers for wear (between them), valve seats, etc... I'd rather see them before they get cleaned up....:yes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts