Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings, im back for more. i came across a good used free camshaft from a buddie of mine.its a hydraulic cam and the specs are the same as the edelbrock2107 or 2101. and i all need is lifters and the rest of the installation stuff to get it going. now, do i just lube up the cam and lifters and go..? or do i still have to break it in like its all new and rev it up too 2000rpm for 20 min and then change the oil...? used cam, new lifters, that would be a first for me,, and i dont want to mess anything up. if i left out any info, let me know,, thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
preparing and doing the break-in again will not hurt.

I would use the break-in lube on the cam & lifters as a min!

Running it at 2k for 20min? IMO? no!

Al

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so basically i break it in like new, since the cam is used, do i just use the 10w40 castrol oil that is there now, do the whole routine and then change the oil after break in? it only has like 2000 miles since oil change. and u guess ill just do 1500 rpms during break in for 15, i guess? and :pray: thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
by the way,, i was thinking of using Eaton anti-pump up lifters. i think they are a decent choice, and i allready have hardened push rods with 492 heads with all the goodies done. thanks.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The cam in my 350 has been in 3 different engine's.Last time I had it I could still see myself in all but a couple of the lifters!Of course I have kept the lifters with the same cam lobe the whole time.....

This last time I lubed it with assembly lube really well.Ran it for 15 minutes at 1500 rpms's and like I always do run some lucas oil heavy duty oil stabilizer.

Seems to be working so far.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the correct edel. cam part number is 2102. the cam he gave me is the same as that one, just dont remember what brand. i think he said,,,,TRW or something like that. its still alot better cam than a stock one. do i just add lucas oil stabilizer in with the motor oil. or just use the stabilizer straight up? thanks.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Add the lucas in with the oil.

Last time I tore my motor apart I had been using lucas in it.And everything was so slick I couldn't believe it.That stuff works!It has directions on the back of the bottle....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts