Chevy Nova Forum banner

What would YOU guys do, Decently reliable runner, nothing pretty.

• Perform leakdown test, if cylinders check out, assume bearings and rings etc are sound. Install.

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Tear down and inspect bearings and measure clearanes, R/R if necessary, few gaskets, and install.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tear down, replace crank bearings, seals, rings, gaskets, and install.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have mixed opinions on this one, and wondering what the bunch of ya think about it.

Bought a used 250 to replace the 194. 250 looks good, rotates 360*, all that good stuff. Had lightly fouled plugs when I took them out. Not much history on it, just a craigslist motor.

My goal is to get a decent reliable motor, nothing bullet proof, nothing expensive, just want to get in and know I can go.

I was going to redo all gaskets, seals, bearings, and rings. A few guys said this may be a little more effort than I have to go through.

Here are my current options, wondering what I should do. Kinda already know, but just curious as to what the pole will say.

I can:

-Perform a leak down test, and if rings are good and it seals, chances are bearings and internals are also decent, and toss it in and go!

-Tear down and inspect bearings, measure clearances, if they are good, reuse, and get er done! Replace rings at minimum.

-Tear down replace crank bearings, a few minor other things, and some gaskets.

-Complete rebuild is out of budget, I am not going to go that route right now.

Bare minimum, Im getting a new oil pump. If I can cut corners (for lack of better term) in other areas, this motor doesnt need to run much longer than a few years. And I drive it very easy.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I just got new bearings and a gaskets for about 175 bucks.

You didn't have the option I would do so Ill put it here

compression test, if something of note then leakdown

At a minimum I would look at the main bearings, I would of been scared to do this prior to doing it

While you got it on a stand replace the gaskets (at least rear main, oil pan, timing cover, front seal)

arndog

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YES! I figured at minimum I am replacing the rear main, pan, timing cover, and all the hard to get to parts when installed. My budget is almost too tight to be doing this type of thing, but its either this or the car is not practical or safe to drive.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well than I guess a compression test is my first step! Gotta get it out of storage and start wrenching then!

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
You can't check compression without an engine stand or or a way to crank the engine over with the starter! RICK

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have two stands, one for my 250 and the other for the 250 block. I thought about bolting a starter and flexplate up to it, but thought that would rattle the stand to bits and peices?:confused:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guess I could fab one up, but thats a lot of additional things to do...I dont know if that is feasable....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts