Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 Nova with a thick 2 row radiator that is the same thickness as a 4 row. I see the common chrome upper supports, will those work for my application using the rubber holders?

Are there also brackets that I can get? I kind of want to do a one time deal instead of shipping it back because it didn't fit or work.

What are you guys using?

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have a brake and bead roller (cheap Harbor Freight) so I made my own out of .060 alum. Was able to make it the way I think it should look.
I rolled a couple of beads across the top and Dzus'ed it to the top of the core support instead of using bolts.
Fits the theme of my car, took a couple of hours and cost me nothing.
Some day I'll figure out how to post pictures.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,486 Posts
Funny you bring this subject up... as I am working on a similar project.
I have a Summit universal fit 2 row (1" tubes) aluminum radiator that I installed several years ago, but I never liked how it looked when I installed it (see photo). I was in too much of a hurry to get the Nova back on the road.

At the time, I just made some custom upper radiator support brackets and covered the top of the radiator with a cut-up chrome support cover. In the next few weeks, I am going to attempt to clean-up this installation.

I am going to lower the radiator 1" by cutting off some of the upper and lower "U" channel aluminum so they are even with the side tank welds.
I will still need to fabricate some brackets to hold the radiator in place and I will top the radiator with one of the two radiator covers shown in the links below.
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/97025/10002/-1
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/97027/10002/-1

The copy of the original upper radiator cover/support for the 3rd and 4th gen Novas is not long enough for me to use (Link below). The length of this support that covers the top portion of the radiator (and holds the rubber supports) is only 22" long. My radiator core between the side tanks is 26.25". The overall length of my radiator is 30 3/4".
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/97026/10002/-1

I'm switching to a black radiator cover because I think it looks cleaner then the chrome ones... and the chrome finish on the aftermarket support I currently have is not holding up so well. I'm sure I will still need to drill new attachment holes in the upper radiator core support and tweak which ever cover I think looks best. I will also need to fabricate some brackets to hold my fan shroud in place (unless I luck out and it can be bolted to one of the radiator covers I plan to use).
Not too many things are easy in the world of modifications... but that's what makes it interesting.

Sorry I don't have any additional information right now, but I will do a full write-up when this project is completed.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Its pretty easy to post photos once you know what to do, where are you getting hung up?
Zonie, thx for the offer to help. I don't want to use a third party to host my pictures so I kinda got stalled at that point. Am I correct thinking that is necessary?
Can I post from my Google pix file?
Appreciate it.......

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I decided to go with the basic Nova 3 screw hole chrome upper support from Summit. It fit perfectly and great quality. My radiator is a very thick 2-1/4" row radiator with thick shroud and this support fit well.
The upper radiator support looks great with a nice clean fit for your set-up.
And the fact that it was just a bolt in is even better.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Can I post from my Google pix file?
Appreciate it.......
Below are the steps I use the post images using the Google Photos website.

#1 - After you open Google Photos, click on the Albums Icon on the left-hand side of the page.

Select the album that contains the photo(s) you would like to post.

#2 - The first thing you need to confirm is that the album that contains the photos you want to post is a “Shared” album. It will be shown right below the album cover

If the album is Shared, proceed to step #6.
If the album is NOT Shared, follow the steps below to share the images within the album.

#3 – Click on the cover photo to open the album. Click on the Options Icon (3 Vertical Dots) located at the top of the page.

#4 – Click on Options from the drop-down menu.

#5 – Slide the Share toggle switch to the “ON” position (towards the right).
X out of the Options menu when you are finished

#6 – Open the photo you would like to post by clicking on the image within the Shared album.
When the image is opened, right click within the photo to see an options menu.
Click on “Copy Image Location”.

#7 – Go to your post and place the curser in the location you would like to insert the photo.
Next, click on the “Mountain and Sun” icon within the post menu bar.
When the menu pops up, right click on top of the highlighted http:// and select the Paste option.

Click on “OK”.
Your photo link should now appear in your post. You can select “PREVIEW POST” to confirm your message with photo placement. I hope this information helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts