Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I hope you are all staying safe & healthy. Has anyone used the correct tool to remove the front spring to do the upper bushings? I did them years ago with a standard compressor. I swore I would never do them again. It is the tool sold by GM Classics/Chevy 2 only. Any help/shortcuts are appreciated. Only safe procedures please...not losing a limb.
Thanks

·
Registered
65 Super Sport
250 Posts
Hi everyone I hope you are all staying safe & healthy. Has anyone used the correct tool to remove the front spring to do the upper bushings? I did them years ago with a standard compressor. I swore I would never do them again. It is the tool sold by GM Classics/Chevy 2 only. Any help/shortcuts are appreciated. Only safe procedures please...not losing a limb.
Thanks
I bought the spring compressor from C2 only. It works good, used it when I installed Church Boys upper control arms. If your budget allows you should consider the CBR arms.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I haven't used the correct tool from GM classics but with my 63 I've removed both front springs 3 times in the past couple of months for different reasons.

I used the loaner tool spring compressor tool from my local autoparts store each time.

The first time was a steep learning curve. Lots of trial / error & seemed to take forever because I was only using the hand tools that I had at the time.

When I realized that I needed to remove the springs again, I took the time to remove the metal covers inside the wheel well that covers the majority of the springs. That & investing in a compressor & impact wrench made the whole process a lot easier & faster.

Removing the metal covers inside the wheel well gives you a lot more access to the springs. Using a compressor & impact wrench allows you compress & remove the springs quickly & with relative ease & the same when reinstalling them.

There should be 6 bolts holding the spring covers to the inside fender well. 1/2" bolt heads.

Robert

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Hi Can you please tell me where you bought the upper adapter. I have the spring compressor. tool I need the adapter. Thanks
I used a big washer and this pipe thingy. but big washers will do from the hardware store. The only reason I went this way is because I already had the compressor and the washers, but the right tool from the vendors would be the way to go. I have used it about 6 different times removing my springs. It works for me and I know how it is designed to work but I would never advise that you do the same.. I would say please be careful when dealing with compressed springs.
h

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used a big washer and this pipe thingy. but big washers will do from the hardware store. The only reason I went this way is because I already had the compressor and the washers, but the right tool from the vendors would be the way to go. I have used it about 6 different times removing my springs. It works for me and I know how it is designed to work but I would never advise that you do the same.. I would say please be careful when dealing with compressed springs. View attachment 403213 h
LOL I have my 63 since 1980 & have done the springs before. When I was in my 20s or 30s no problem fighting it a bit. Almost 60 now work smarter not harder! Thanks for the help. The correct tool is around $50.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts