Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put new seats in my car. They sit a couple inches higher so my shoulder belts are lower than they should be. My questions are:
1. Is there a required way to attach the upper straps? My cross bar between the hoop is where they were mounted. Now that makes the straps to low.
2. Is there a legal way to mount the upper straps higher without moving the cross bar?
3. Are seat back braces required? I had one on both before now neither one hits where it should. Can I combine the two and make a safe legal mount?

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
The seat should be secured to the crossbar, and you can use either a wrap around harness or a bolt in design. Y belts are not legal as of this year. Unless they have a valid tag. Dave

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
65 Post said:
The seat should be secured to the crossbar, and you can use either a wrap around harness or a bolt in design. Y belts are not legal as of this year. Unless they have a valid tag. Dave
I think the problem is that the new seat backs are much higher and that makes it a bad angle for the shoulder straps?

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The new seat backs are lower; but the bottoms are higher. You sit higher in the car in relationship to the upper belt mount. I sit about 2-4 inches higher in the car now. That puts the upper belts mount below my shouders by several inches.
I need to move the upper mount up by 4 inches. What is the normal method of mounting the upper harness? Before I had a large bolt welded to the cross bar pointing down with a nut on it to hold the harness. (I copied that from another car)
The belt went through the seat right across my shoulders the way they are suppossed to. The back of the seat is lower, the bottom of the seat is higher putting me higher in the car making the belts at the wrong relationship.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
OK, I see what you are saying now. Can you move your crossbar higher? That would probably be the right thing to do.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can move the bar up. That will fix one problem; I just don't remember if seat back braces are required. If I move the bar up that will let the seat go behind the crossbar with amount of adjustment it has built in.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Nova_Guy said:
I can move the bar up. That will fix one problem; I just don't remember if seat back braces are required. If I move the bar up that will let the seat go behind the crossbar with amount of adjustment it has built in.
Ohhhh :confused: Do you still race the car at all???

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't in years; I just would like to stay legal and have a save upper mount if I can. I plan on racing the car at least once this year. The I-57 track isn't real strict on street cars with street tires. I just want a safe mount without a huge expence.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Why not just leave your current crossbar where it is and just add a new crossbar (so then you would have two crossbars) higher up to mount the seatbelt too...would that not solve it for ya?:)

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Putting another bar in isn't an option based on the height of the first bar. The belts are way below my shoulders, the attachment point needs to be raised. Now I just need to fin out what the legal/safe way to do that. Are there any chassis builders here?

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
You can have the belts attach lower than your shoulders. It looks like your seat brace needs to come down a bit or it will pop you in the back. The seat can't be lower than the crossbar, it would defeat it's purpose. Belts can attach below the shoulders and come over the seat. There are no pictures in the NHRA rule book to show this. On my dragster, the belts actually attach over the shoulder hoop and down to about the middle of my back. They really pull me into the seat. Any time you use a cushioned seat, there is a little room for looseness. A plastic race seat will be more firm. And if you have a full cage, a crotch strap is mandatory. I'll see if I can find anything else. Dave

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I am going to try and explain what I see as the rules that you need to follow to be legal and safe per the IHRA rule book. First thing is you need a headrest behind the seat and it should be padded to support your head. There is no reference to having a support on the seat back in any of the stock type classes and I know of nobody who has one in their stock seat car. The shoulder belts are legal if they are level to 4 inches below your shoulders. In your pictures I see a couple things I'd do differently so let me explain what I'd do to correct these issues. First I would make a U shaped frame welded to your cross bar and I would use it for the headrest and attack a pad to it. If you can't bend a frame yourself buy a U shaped driveshaft loop from a magazine and use that. It would look good and be sturdy as well. Then I would attach a couple tabs to this U shaped frame at a position that would properly attach your shoulder straps to get them higher. Your welded bolt is not strong enough and IMO would fail on a hard impact, tabs with bolts attaching the belts are best. If you have a lock system on your seat back I'd just stay with that. If you don't I'd add a strap made of webbing to go around the seat and attach it to the roll cage to keep the seat back from moving forward in a sudden stop. Do it in a way that you can remove it easily when you aren't racing. I think that will resolve all the issues you mention and it should be legal and safe. I hope this helps. RM

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
I think what RM said about the u pipe is a good idea. You also need to do something about the old seat brace too.

Denis

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I spent a couple hours yesterday with a hacksaw. I cut both seat braces off and filed (yes filed) the crossbar smooth. I'm going to check with the local speed shops for a driveshaft loop or someone that can bend something that will work. My seat has adjustments back/forth; it locks into place. When I add the head brace I'll do the same as before. The seat brace was adjustable; that is the bolt from the bottom. It's two tubes that the inner slides inside the other and the bolts holds it tight.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
One last thing, there is mention of the Y belts being illegal in this post and that is true Y belts are illegal. The belts that replace the Y belts have a single mounting point but are made so that they seem to be a Y but are actually not. The belts in your photo seem to be the new belts. True, illegal Y belts only have one strap which attachs to two belts and the single strap mounts to the bar. The new design which is legal has two belts going to a single mounting plate which attaches to the bar. Best deal is get a system with two separate shoulder belts then attach them to a single mounting tab or two tabs if you have them. Good luck and stay safe. RM

P.S. Thursday evening at Shadyside Dragway in NC during a T&T session two cars wrecked. One car was faster and using alot of NOS. He lost control of it, crossed over into the other lane hitting the other guy and literally drove on top of the other guys car before both crashed into the concrete wall. Nobody was injured because both cars had the right safety stuff while both cars are a complete lose. Both cars just happened to be early 90 Mustangs. I have seen this many times where the one guy never sees what is coming and gets crashed while he was doing nothing wrong himself. If you want to race you need to protect yourself the best you can. If you get wrecked and injured racing and don't have the right stuff in your car you are as responsible as the guy who hit you IMO. I have been involved in fatal racing crashes and it's something you will never get over even if you weren't driving the car. It's all fun til T.S.H.T.F. then it's every man for himself.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This what I wound up making. I think this is what was being described to me. I hope it works out.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
That should do it. The part your head contacts needs to be padded don't forget.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well here is the final product. The drivers side pad may get moved up about 2-3 inches before I am happy. The seat back moves up and down so I can hit it closer to the center by lowering the seat back.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts