Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think could be the reasoning for the excessive steering play? 3-5 inches while in park, engine off.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
hard to see in the video, good try though... what you want to do is just what you're doing. turn/move the wheel but only in the slack position, don't try to actually move any of the steering linkage... while wiggling it back and forth, check every tie rod pin at steering arm and centerlink, pitman to centerlink, and idler to centerlink... if any of the pins/joints are bad, you'll see one show that slack when wiggling... one will move, one won't... that's the bad one.

grab the centerlink and give it a tug... slack only, don't pull the car off of the jackstands. locate the loose/worn joint...

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
it's also possible there are other issues, loose wheel bearings, excessive steering gear play (even though you said it was adjusted)...

·
Registered
89 Posts
steering issues

how much play do you have at steering wheel? you should be able to feel less than 1/8 inch when turning . looks like idler arm is loose.All steering components should be snug with no play. did you change the pitman arm when you changed over to p/steering? the nut and center bolt at the steering box is a lash adjuster the nut is a lock nut and the center bolt is the adjustment. loosen the nut and then screw in the center bolt by hand till you feel some resistance, then back it off slightly and retighten lock nut. this takes out the play between the gears

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
One thing I see is that the nut is not on the sector shaft straight, nor are any threads extending beyond the nut. That is not normal. There should always be a couple of threads showing past the nut. I think you have either cross-threaded the nut, or have not tightened it all the way, and that is why there is so much clearance between the pitman arm and the bottom of the steering box. The pitman arm isn't pulled all the way up tight on the sector shaft, and has some play.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how much play do you have at steering wheel? you should be able to feel less than 1/8 inch when turning . looks like idler arm is loose.All steering components should be snug with no play. did you change the pitman arm when you changed over to p/steering? the nut and center bolt at the steering box is a lash adjuster the nut is a lock nut and the center bolt is the adjustment. loosen the nut and then screw in the center bolt by hand till you feel some resistance, then back it off slightly and retighten lock nut. this takes out the play between the gears
When the car is parked, I can move the wheel a good 2 inches in both directions. How can you tell that the idler arm is loose? What do you look for? When I installed the gear, i didn't replace the pitman arm. The guy I bought it form said it was made to use the original (bought it from a p/s dealer at the Pomona Swap Meet).

When you talk about the center bolt at the steering box, are you referring to the box on top, near the pressure lines, or are you referring to the pitman arm bolt under neath. I adjusted the bolt on the top, but it didn't do anything but spin (probably effed something up).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One thing I see is that the nut is not on the sector shaft straight, nor are any threads extending beyond the nut. That is not normal. There should always be a couple of threads showing past the nut. I think you have either cross-threaded the nut, or have not tightened it all the way, and that is why there is so much clearance between the pitman arm and the bottom of the steering box. The pitman arm isn't pulled all the way up tight on the sector shaft, and has some play.

Just my $.02.
This is really helpful, thank you. I'll pull the pitman arm, and re-install to see if I can bring it up, unless the threads are shot.

Perhaps a new box and pitman arm?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
This is really helpful, thank you. I'll pull the pitman arm, and re-install to see if I can bring it up, unless the threads are shot.

Perhaps a new box and pitman arm?
As long as the threads aren't screwed up on the sector shaft, or can be straightened out, a new nut would be in order. NEVER put the nut on with an impact wrench! You can use one to remove the nut, but putting it back on with one is asking for trouble.

I don't have a parts catalog, so I don't know if power and manual boxes use the same pitman arm. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts