Chevy Nova Forum banner

Upgrading 10 bolt 8.5 rear end

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  wht73 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I have a 72 Nova with the stock 8.5 rear end and 2.73 gears. I am looking to upgrade from the one wheel wonder to an Eaton posi, 3.42 gears, and Moser 30 spline axles. Since I will be doing the rebuild myself, I am currently looking for parts. After checking out sites like Jegs and Summit, it looks like the only posi differentials that can accommodate 30 spline axles are designed for 1988-2009 GM cars. After browsing the forum, I've seen a few guys mention that you can still use this type of posi if you get adapter bearings. Is this true and, if so, what type of bearings should I be looking for? Also, does anybody have experience with Yukon Master Overhaul kits? It looks like there are two kits for the 8.5 rear end (Yukon Gear YKGM8.5HD vs. Yukon Gear YKGM8.5) but I'm unsure which one is right for my application and if either one includes the adapter bearings. I really appreciate your guys' feedback!

#2 · (Edited)
I did the Eaton posi 30 spline, 4.11 gear(Motive) and some 30 spline Moser axles in mine.

I used MGR-R10REMKT which is the part number with Timken bearings. I have used this kit twice and both times it changed my pinion nut from 1 1/4" to a 1 5/16" nut. It's not a problem, just putting it out there as you will need the bigger socket afterwards.

These bearings LM102949 and race LM102911 are the one's included in the above kit and are the oversized one's you need. They are the right o.d. for your 8.5 case and are oversized i.d. to fit your new posi carrier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.