MSD Digital E-curve / 6A / Blaster SS
700-r4 w/ 3500 Stall
3.42 posi
stock suspension / street tires

current best ET: [email protected] w/ rpm heads and smaller exhaust

·
Registered
362 Posts
So what did you change? Heads & exhaust? Your MPH puts you in the 11.8 range, but that would be with a really strong 60ft time. I believe ideal cc for a 383 turning less then 6000 rpm is about 180-185CC, so I would predict if you were at 170cc previously your pick up some mph, if you were already at that level and went futher, I would say you'll give up some tq on bottom to gain some HP up top, net no change.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey Jinks,
What does it weigh? have you done anything to lighten it up?
I have almost the same combo in my 74 nova, except I have a bigger XE solid lifter cam, th-350 and 4.56 gears,
I am in the process of taking out weight now, ditched the AC for an american graffiti heater box, moved the bumper back and mounted it with angle aluminum.
the gears and street tires are killing you, with that 700 r4 I would go to 4.11s.
I am guessing you wont gain alot of et, because the bigger heads and headers will kill off a little torq, and most of a qick et is in the first 60 ft. But you might gain some mph on top.

Mike

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
So you changed from Performer heads to Victors and put on a decent exhaust system. Well, calls for a lot of assumptions, how you get it to launch at all puzzels me, a 3.05 1st with a 3500 convertor, a 3:42 gear. and street tires, sounds like a recipe for uncontrollable mayhem when you hammer it. That said, if you can hook it, 12.10 116. Post on this thread with the results, seems nobody ever does that, good luck.

·
Registered
141 Posts
We Have A 383 With A 700r4 And 354 Gears Go 11.02 Last Year And With Some Head Work Looking For Some High 10s This Year Out Of Her

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its an all stock chassis with no weight reduction.. its the SAME setup other than the heads and exhaust. Im GOING to be going with either a new cam eventually or just some 1.6 rockers to get some better lift out of the current cam. ( or both :) )

The goal here is to see HOW fast i can go on street tires.. im hoping the raised torque curve will actually help me a bit with traction.. I had peak torque at 3500 RPM with the old heads, which obviously was hard to hook on streets seeings as it was all right where my torque converter grabbed.

i know these heads are a bit big for the street, and my engine, but we'll see what i can do in time to match things up a bit better!

The goal is to hit some near 11's on street tires only. I already know i can hit 11's if i just put some tires in.. but im looking for a bit more of a challenge :)

Ill be posting my new ET's here of course.. will probably be a month or so.. just waiting on my new exhaust!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh yeah, last 60's were all right around 2.0.. im going to say it will be around the same..

running 235/60/15 BFG radial t/a

1 - 8 of 8 Posts