Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted any news in a while. The previous time I went to the track, I had a problem with the car shutting off at 7300 rpm. It feels like someone hit the kill switch. It would drop to 4000 and pick right back up and do the same thing again. I was running a MSD 7AL2. I have since installed a MSD Digital 7 7531, I did a couple hot laps around the house and thought that issue was over. The first pass at the track, the car did it again. Shut off just like it did before. All the rev limits, fuel shut off, etc. were set at 9000 just to make sure that was a non factor. We checked several things and couldn't find anything. I have since pulled the Accel Gen 7 and the dual sync distributor and sent them for testing at the factory. I have been on other sites and had numerous suggestions for the cause. Once I get the report on the Gen 7 and distributor, I'll move on to my "list" of maybe's. I have had great suggestions on things that I need to check.

Plug gap, valve springs, bad tach wire, spark plug wires, too cold of plug, wiring issue between the coil and distributor, wiring issue elsewhere, I need a crank trigger, the list goes on and on. I'm hoping to hear from Accel and them tell me the distributor is bad. I'll be happy about that. At least I'll know what caused it. I'll keep you guys updated on the progress.

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
Well I hope you find out what is wrong with it. I thought you already had a crank trigger. Well keep us upadated on your problem. I can not wait to see a video of this beast running.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I hope you find out what is wrong with it. I thought you already had a crank trigger. Well keep us upadated on your problem. I can not wait to see a video of this beast running.
I was told my distributor will be suspect and I need to run a trigger. I'm looking in to it now. I'll just add that one to the list.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Accel Gen 7 box and distributor checked out OK. The tech said the cap had a bad spot on it and I'll be getting a new one of those. I should have everything back next week. I was hoping, that would be the problem, but no such luck. I'll be checking wiring and grounds this weekend.:turn:

In the mean time, I had my valve covers and intercooler tubing powdercoated this week. I'll post a pic after the weekend. If it won't run, at least it will look good.:D

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
hey you say everything shuts off all power right nothing just dead car doesnt start nothing right ................ check your grounds to make sure nothing is rusted or corroded do you have the obvious covered you never know sounds like something is coming loose possibly shorting with all the vibration going on just my 2 cents and ditto on video i wanna see this badbeast run as well :yes:

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was on the phone with an MSD tech today. He is thinking possibly an input problem. I'll be checking all the ground connections this weekend. It will just take some time. It just seems strange to cut off every time at 72-7300 and drop to 4000 every time. Something's up. I just can't see it being a ground. I don't know. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
I don't know much about a Pro Charger, but do you have a waste gate on it and could it be popping from too much boost, and then closing around 4000? Or do you have a chip in the MSD that could be bad? Or maybe even fuel pressure. You'll find out it'll be something simple. I'd like you to find out also. Dave

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know much about a Pro Charger, but do you have a waste gate on it and could it be popping from too much boost, and then closing around 4000? Or do you have a chip in the MSD that could be bad? Or maybe even fuel pressure. You'll find out it'll be something simple. I'd like you to find out also. Dave
No waste gate. The problem was the same with both MSD boxes. The MSD now is all digital. No chips. I have had some other suggestions on a racing site. Someone had a similiar problem with a fuel cell vent being the culprit. I didn't think about that one. I checked mine just in case. I'm going to start with the cheap stuff first and move from there. If you guys hear anything that might be suspect, let me know. At this point, nothing is too crazy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts