Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tranny checked out fine which was expected. But paid to have it gone thru just in case.
Motor should be back together this week or next. Made a couple minor changes:devil:
Had the heads gone over thoroughly- multiangle valve job, milled down a bit, some bowl work, valve springs checked and max lift checked. For those of you with GMPP fastburn heads, the shop doing the work only had good things to say about them being high quality castings.

Since she was apart any way tossed a bit more cam in as well. Another Lunati Voodoo # 60122 (old cam was #60121)
535/550 lift
231/239 [email protected]
282/290 adv. dur.
RPM range 2400-6200

This should work real well with the new 3800-4000 stall convertor (old one was 2800 stall), head improvements, new roller rockers, and the existing 4.11 rear gears.
Can't wait until she lives and breathes again. Old best was a 12.69, should pick up quite a bit with the improvements. Am hoping for something consistant in the 12.3 range.

Monday I'll be at the body shop sanding my little heart out to help get her ready again. The owner has agreed to let me help out as much as I can to get her done a little faster.
I miss my orange 4th Gen baby!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yes

Does you car have manual brakes or power?
Yup she has manual or power brakes. Geesh Gary, you should know they all came with that.....:D:D:D

LOL!!!

Manual.
This is just the next hyd roller in the Voodoo line up. 60121 spec's it is replacing are:
515/535 lift
219/227 @ 050
270/278 adv. dur
1500-5900 rpm range

So yes it is a bit more aggressive but still not radical. I bet with the Dynomax bullets it's going to sound nasty at idle though!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Now if you could just some interior parts shipped to you! I'll get the pictures sent to you and try to find a box so I can ship next week if you need them.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Glad to see your getting it back together Mike. I run a 488 lift edelbrock cam with power brakes. Vaccum is sparse, so it's right on the edge.

What were the specs on the old cam?

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to see your getting it back together Mike. I run a 488 lift edelbrock cam with power brakes. Vaccum is sparse, so it's right on the edge.

What were the specs on the old cam?
Specs above in last post.
With other cam 515/530 lift had 15+ inches of vacuum at idle. Would have to lose a lot with the new cam for it to be an issue. The Voodoo series is designed to keep good vacuum among other things.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
doubt it

Takin' all the street manners right out. At least you have manual brakes so that's a plus.
Cant imagine that cam is going to change street manners much with the convertor and gears I have, it still is a "street cam". When I installed the Coan 10", 4000 stall convertor here was absolutely no change in streetability compared to the ATI 11" 2800 stall unit.

Once she's back together and when I can swing it look forward to another dyno test/tune to see the new numbers.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
A good tight, high stall converter tends to be more streetable than a 10" off the shelf TCI or B&M, from my experience. I agree, once you hit the pretty fast street machine territory, you don't lose a ton of driving manors by stepping it up a little. The dynomax bullets weren't put on there to make it nice to drive to work everyday anyway.

Kev

·
Registered
857 Posts
Do you have a trans brake? My 4500 stall wouldn't go over 3200 foot brake, or flash, until I put the trans brake in.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nope

No trans-brake. Coan said it'll work fine with my combo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts