Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start with a little back story, this year my Stepson started driving our 73 Nova Bracket car. He has never driven anything fast before, only his moms newer Charger RT. This year we struggled with alot of fuel system issues but finally got the car running consistently. We ran Sportsman class in the NHRA Summit series.
On Saturday night we made it to the final round and were runner up.
On Sunday he won the race and along the way won the very coveted NHRA "Wally" trophy.

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Congratulations on the Wally!! That us huge. Most people have no idea what an achievement that is.
Not only did that young man do a tremendous job of staying cool under pressure, cut good lights, and run his dial, but kudos to you as well. You surely worked out the bugs in your program and provided a deadly consistent car.
I ran the NHRA Div 6 sportsman (superpro) finals, 3 times, in the late 90's. And while I was pretty competitive, I never achieved the Wally.
It takes a team. Congrats to you both.

·
Registered
63 Nova SS (Basket Case)
56 Posts
That's great what a accomplishment!
Ice cool under pressure and a great car!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Great job to both of you!! I guess that its safe to say, the street/strip car has become mostly strip now?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great job to both of you!! I guess that its safe to say, the street/strip car has become mostly strip now?
Thanks!
Yeah, its 99% strip now, we slowed it down to run Sportsman, no electronics-footbrake only 12.00 (7.50 1/8th) is the quickest we can dial in. I bought slicks and just put it around the neighborhood to make sure its all good for race day.

Funny how a slow racecar is still a racecar for me.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Thanks!
Yeah, its 99% strip now, we slowed it down to run Sportsman, no electronics-footbrake only 12.00 (7.50 1/8th) is the quickest we can dial in. I bought slicks and just put it around the neighborhood to make sure its all good for race day.

Funny how a slow racecar is still a racecar for me.
I think we’ve discussed in the past how I sometimes wished I had a slower car to have fun with and not get buried in maintenance and cost like mine progressed to. I am an engine builder at heart so the joy was building new engine combos and tweaking it. But I think if I was to do it over I like your plan. It may not be the fastest but your out having fun and not spending an arm and a leg to do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts