Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an update on my 65 project. Tied frame, rear frame rails and roll bar. Hope the pics come out. Dave

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Looks good Dave. Heading up your way in the morning. Brother Dennis is going to take my old car out to Thompson Sat and run it. He got a new motor I built for him installed and got the converter redone so it should be capable of some high 9 second passes. He's never been quicker than 10.0s so he's excited. Keep up the good work. RM

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi Joe. It's supposed to rain 50% chance from now till monday. Hope you get some passes in. Thompson was either laser ground or repaved a few weeks ago. It's supposed to be real smooth. Now if they would just spray some glue on it, it should be OK. We're supposed to go to Norwalk saturday, but if it is raining in the am, we might not leave the drive. You know Bill will try to dry the track if he gets a window.

Ron, the roll bar is an 8-point from S&W. It's a real nice piece and fits like a glove. Well worth the money. The guy doing my car said he couldn't build one for what it cost, plus it saved a bunch of time. The frame rails and crossmember are Competition Engineering pieces. Again, they fit really nice. He then tied the front to rear with frame connectors and sliced the floor pan so they won't be hanging down. We tied the rear roll bar struts right to the new frame rails through the trunk and really made the car solid. It doesn't flex at all. Next, Cal Traks are going on and an engine and trans. I really need to get this running. Still need to plumb it and do some wiring. But I really like doing brake lines. I use a NOS tubing bender. It makes real nice 1" radius. Dave

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Dave, Brother said they ground it smooth. Not sure what that means.......LOL. He's on his own anyway, I have to do other things Sat. myself. Just got off the phone with Iarussi, he's good and we're going to meet up and relive old lies.......LOL. Bader hasn't changed a bit in 30 yrs. Saw him at the bracket finals a couple years ago, looked the same as when I first met him in 78 when he bought Norwalk.......LOL. I see Aaron at some races, no big change there either...just gray now....LOL. RM

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When they laser grind the track, they set up sensors down the length of the track and this grinder follows them. If the track has a high spot according to the sensors, the grinder goes to town. Sometimes it doesn't grind anything. It takes the high spots off and makes it smooth. NRP did it 2 years ago. But, they spray it like a national event every week. We have around 20 seven second cars on a weekly basis. Heck, I ran 8.09 last week. Not bad for a 427 with a solid cam. Dave

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Ryan. Yeah, it should look familiar. Fits nice between the side bars too. How're you doing this season? How fast are you running? NRP is going to Martin for the bracket finals this year. With a bunch of luck I'll make the team. Dave

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Joe, it's still raining here and the weather says 60-70% chance till next Thursday. Tonight's race at NRP was cancelled as well as Wednesdays race. I'm not pulling out of the drive tomorrow if it looks like this. But you know Bill. If there's a window coming, he'll try to get it off. Even if it's one round. Dave

·
Registered
311 Posts
65 Post said:
Hi Ryan. Yeah, it should look familiar. Fits nice between the side bars too. How're you doing this season? How fast are you running? NRP is going to Martin for the bracket finals this year. With a bunch of luck I'll make the team. Dave
Due to some financial shortcomings I haven't run yet, but should be within the next week if the weather cooperates. No changes to the car just some freshening up so should be in the mid 11's still.

Hopefully you'll make it up for the finals, I'll be there for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I hope to see you there. We had 3 races and 2 of them washed all ready. So far I'm onlt 7 points out of 1st palce. LOL It's a slow process but I hope the 65 is done by the end of July. Dave

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Hey Dave, I am dying here with all this rain and cold........LOL. This is January weather in SC. All my buddies raced this past W/E at Moorseville Fri and Sat at a two day race. They said the weather was wonderful. Be glad to get back home and out of this traffic and sorry weather. And people ask me if I want to come back........LOL. RM

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, it's STILL raining here and looks to keep doing so till Sunday. We have another points race Saturday and then next week is the Funny Car Fox Hunt. I'd like to get a few more passes on the car before then. Last week was washed and I really don't want it to wash this week. But then again I am saving sixty bucks worth of gas and eight hours of sitting in the trailer. Dave

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey JW. Best of luck at NRP this weekend. Are you going out Saturday also? You can run street if you slow it up to 12.0's. If you do, stop by and say HI! I have a little dragster called "IT". That looks like a nice Nova you have there. I hope to get mine out soon. Dave

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
If you two want to race follow me home cause the weather here in Ohio sucks just like it did the 35 yrs I lived here........LOL. It has rained everyday for the past 5 days and is raining right now on day 6 of my visit.......LOL. Very pleasent and dry in SC according to the wife. My brother wanted to go to Thompson but didn't because it was pouring outside, then I found out yesterday they raced there and did't get wet til the finals, which they split. I'll be glad to get back home.....LOL. Have a great day, RM

·
Registered
86 Posts
Id like to come out on sat, but im going to akron to look at some cars in my g-ma's neighbors barn, i might be getting a new project:D ill def be up there some other time this season, ill keep an eye out for you!

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, make sure you stop by. I'm going to try to get the Nova ready for the Blue Suede Cruise in July, but it'll be close. It's for 72 and older cars. You oughta try it. There is a DOT class that is all run.
Joe, I read on DRR that TDR raced sat night. There were only 15 cars in Top. But the shutdown sucks. That;s what they said. Thank GOD for NRP. Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts