Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help. This is my first engine build and just finished breaking in the cam. Its a 1969 350 two bolt main with stock cast iron heads. I just noticed a hissing and very small drip coming out of the driver side front bolt hole. But looks like an accessory hole. Im not sure what its for. Can i just put a bolt in it and be good or could that be a cracked head? I circled the hole in blue in the pics.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Typically an accy bracket hole or a ground location. My suggestion is get the motor cool, get some Permatex RTV Copper max and get a very short (1/2") header bolt, a good fiberous washer (hardware store or make one from gasket material just the size of the head of the bolt) then slide the washer over the bolt and goop it up with the rtv, screw it in, back it out, add more rtv then screw it in again and torque to abt 25-30 ft/lbs and let the rtv set up 24 hrs. Should do the trick. If not, take it back out and replace with a soft copper washer or an aluminum one which will help as it is more malleable and will help seal metal to metal.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had a new, over the counter, head that leaked out of one of those accessory holes. Of course it was on the back side as installed. The factory had drilled too deep and it broke through. I just did the sealer/bolt trick and it was fine for as long as I had the heads.

Reactions: Stroker Ace Ventura

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
It can be, depending on whether the heads are on the motor or not. IT happens from time to time and not all castings are the same thickness or quality as mentioned above. Even new stuff at times surprises us and we just have to figure a way around it. As for lifting the engine, you can use a water pump bolt hole too so there are many different ways to lift an engine... (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts