Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
In the early 90's I got a hood from them for my '84 Camaro & it fit good & looked good... So figured I'd get one for my '70 Nova. Bad idea, it fits ok but the cowl is 2 1/2" high on one side & 2 3/4" high on the other. It drives me crazy to look at it & it's right in my line of sight when I'm driving... I'm going to order a Harwood. Buy once, cry once...

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
We've heard far too many horror stories, so we went with Fiber Concepts in Warminster, PA for a stinger hood that we might use later on my son's '69 SS (if he decides to remove the dual quads....) It's a quality unit, which I expect for $550!

http://fiberpartsconcepts.com/1279645.html

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
We've heard far too many horror stories, so we went with Fiber Concepts in Warminster, PA for a stinger hood that we might use later on my son's '69 SS (if he decides to remove the dual quads....) It's a quality unit, which I expect for $550!

http://fiberpartsconcepts.com/1279645.html
Thank You! I'm going to call them Monday. Their web page says "Hoods are primarily show quality but can be used for everyday driving"... Almost sounds to good to be true but then your hood is awesome! Bill

·
Registered
425 Posts
Unlimited

When I started my build in 2011, I ordered fenders and bumpers from them. The fenders did not have enough flange material to drill mounting holes. I am mounting the bumpers. They have the general look but are far from what the originals look like. I wanted to go with a glass hood for weight saving, but ended up with an AMD steel hood because of the price difference between that and a quality glass piece

·
Registered
58 Posts
Fiberglass Hood

For whats its worth I bought a VFN hood and front end to make a tilt nose front end for my 64 Nova gasser. I don't know how the fit would be on a stock front end but it seemed to fit OK on the fiberglass front end. As for the finish it was pretty good considering its Fiberglass, I think all fiberglass pieces need a little work. The inside however was a little hairy, I took a 4" angle grinder with a flap sanding wheel and went over the entire inside. I then painted on resin with a paint brush to slick up the inside. I had my painter paint the inside body color for ease of cleaning, remember I am building a race car not a show car.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
For whats its worth I bought a VFN hood and front end to make a tilt nose front end for my 64 Nova gasser. I don't know how the fit would be on a stock front end but it seemed to fit OK on the fiberglass front end. As for the finish it was pretty good considering its Fiberglass, I think all fiberglass pieces need a little work. The inside however was a little hairy, I took a 4" angle grinder with a flap sanding wheel and went over the entire inside. I then painted on resin with a paint brush to slick up the inside. I had my painter paint the inside body color for ease of cleaning, remember I am building a race car not a show car.
I am literally getting ready to order the same exact front end but different hood. I found if you want a first gen front end there really are not many options. VFN, suncoast (junk) and UP (junk IMO). Harwood discontinued and Gasstek for some stupid reason ONLY sells the stock first gen front end extended 6" which you can trim back to stock length but then requires a custom hood to be molded.

What did you use for your bumper and headlight surroundings to get them "chrome"?

Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Unlimited Products fiberglass quality

As you can see I cut down the original headlight assemblies with the adjusters and used panel bond to glue them in on the back side. Im also going to put the real grill and hood lip moulding on after cutting the front out for the radiator. All in all the front end turned out pretty good it should almost look real when finished as it fits the car good with nice gaps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As you can see I cut down the original headlight assemblies with the adjusters and used panel bond to glue them in on the back side. Im also going to put the real grill and hood lip moulding on after cutting the front out for the radiator. All in all the front end turned out pretty good it should almost look real when finished as it fits the car good with nice gaps.
Looks great, I plan on doing the same thing

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had to rework my unlimited 6 inch snorkel hood and it will honestly never fit right. Unlimited was the only company that still made this hood for my 65 though. All fiberglass fits like ****, lol. Could be a better hood, ....but it is the ONLY hood I could find.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts