Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, im looking for a universal u joint that fits my chevy drive shaft to ford 9 inch.. Transmission is a m 21 if that's any help... thanks

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
We'll need to know what pinion yoke is on the third member, I believe there is a large and small.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Measure the caps and spider from the Chevy shaft,
measure cup dia and width of the ford yoke. (the saddle where the joint will sit)

This info and I will get you a part number.

Al

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Start with the following information:

Is the rear end a 1310 or a 1350 pinion yoke?

You will need to measure the bearing diameter and overall width..

OR better yet, order this:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NPJP348_0325366697

The reason I know this is because my rear end is out of a 78 Camaro (larger corporate 8.5 ring and pinion) and was narrowed to fit my car. The pinion yoke on the rear end roughly the same size as a 1350 yoke. Now, I had to massage the cups on the yoke to fit the u-joint listed above but it works.

I do have to mention this. The overall width for the driveshaft is a little narrower than that of the U-joint by a couple of milimeters. Just ensure you don't grease it up before you install it. BUT definitely grease it after the installation of the driveshaft. Getting those snap rings in will be a little fun..

I researched this for 3 days straight and finally after talking to a couple of local gear heads, they led me to a universal joint specifically used in situations like mine.

Also, the Ford Galaxie 500 (68-70 era and a little later) came from the factory with a dual sized U-joint. If you were to go to Auto Zone web site and put that information in, you will see that there are a couple that are close to fitting but, not as close as the one from NAPA. In doing my research, I 've also found that some Ford trucks are still running the dual sized u-joints but I can't remember up to what year it stopped.

Hope this helps..

Dan

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Tab to tab on yoke is 3 5/8, 1 1/8 cap dia. On yoke the car came with a 1969 firebird rearend in it so it has a universal u joint. Will this effect anything? Sorry for the confusion. And thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Tab to tab on yoke is 3 5/8, 1 1/8 cap dia. On yoke the car came with a 1969 firebird rearend in it so it has a universal u joint. Will this effect anything? Sorry for the confusion. And thanks for the help.
So? You can't measure both joints?:rolleyes:

Your result is only as good as the information you provide.

NO! I'm not gonna research what a 69 Firebird came with.

(Don;t mean to come off harsh, this is how it is.)

Al

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Length Between Outside Snap Rings Axis 1 (in): 3.21
Bearing Cap Diameter Axis 1 (in): 1.062

Those are measurements for a U-joint that would fit a 68 Firebird.

Your measurement of 3.58, is that from end to end or from the internal stop to internal stop tab on the yoke?

Don't worry, I will provide FREE information without being harsh....

Because that's the person I AM......

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
OK,

the joint you need is a 1310-1330 conversion u-joint

Precision brand #253 or #353

Al

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey no worries.. Sometimes it takes my brain a little while to process Haha. I wasn't giving him the information he needed to help me.. Sometimes things thay come so easy to one don't co.e so easy to others.. ITS ALL GOOD!! THANKS

1 - 16 of 16 Posts