Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever use a set of universal power door locks?

Power Door Lock Actuators

I want power locks and I found these on ebay, but not sure if they'll work. They're only $8.95 + $5.95 shipping for both doors so it's not like a big loss if they don't work, but figured I'd see if anyone else has used these or something similar.

·
6,557 Posts
They look real similiar to the ones I put in customer's car's. The ones I get also have the phillips set screws to lock onto the rods and while I have had luck getting some to hold tight I have been recently replacing them with allen set screws. These allow me to position the clamp in more spots and be able to tighten the screws down using an allen wrench. Using the phillips screws that come with the kits you have to extert pressure towards the screw to keep the screwdriver's head in the slot so it doesn't ride out. An allen set screw is a much better design to allow tightening it down.
Also on those kits they do not have any door jamb boots to protect the wire and to keep water from getting into the interior or the door from the jamb area. I would get a set of door jamb boots so you don't have water issues and if you get large enough ones later you can run more electrical wires into the door through the same boots.
I would also test to make sure the actuators work properly before the door gets shut and the door panels put back on. If they are not adjusted right and the door is closed with the door panel on you will be in for a lot of work trying to get it unlocked and back open.
While you are in there you might lube up the door latch mechanism's so they work smoothly.
Jim

·
6,557 Posts
You're welcome. The ones I get are about $7.00 each and I get a lot of trade brochures and I know there are cheaper ones and more expensive ones that look just like those. Without having the different ones in hand, they may be from the same company. The nice thing is it looks like those are like a lot of others to where if one does fail you at least have the wiring in the door and can reuse all of the bracketry and hardware and should be easy to swap.
Thinking too, I don't know what you are hooking this too but they do make a 5 wire actuator to where when one door lock knob is pulled up or one door is unlocked with the key, the other door unlocks also. They also work the other way with locking one, locks the other side of the car. Inside the 5 wire models are position switches that send a signal to relays and then to the other actuator.
I mostly use the 2 wires with security systems or for shaved door handle applications.
Jim

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to install them in my 76 SS. I'll eventually install a keyless entry with alarm, but I don't need anything too intricate. It's good to know what my limits are though. I've seen the 3-wire style too, but I'm not too familiar with how many wires needed for what. I'd like to just keep it simple and I think the 2-wire will work for what I'm going for.
Tony

·
Super Moderator
12,017 Posts
I have the 5 wire type in the El Camino. I like the ease of just using the lock button and not havingto mount an additional button or buttons. I have several actuators out of various GM cars. I plan to use 2 of them in the Nova. I just have to find or make the rod connectors.

I used the 2 wire type in my Buick. They work well. Here is a shot of the install in the Buick. They still work with the key and manually.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts