Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've got a 64 Nova SS that I imported from Chicago, Illinois in 2013. I live in Western Australia so it's difficult for parts but so far I have installed a CPP mini subframe lot, CPP disc brake conversion, Doug's headers, Pypes full exhaust, Viking coilovers in the front and dual adjustable rear, electric water pump and champion radiator with twin Spal fans. I've just finished installing an aeromotive fuel pump, upgraded braided fuel system and Holley sniper stealth system. It's all up and running sweet, the only issue I have now is the unisteer R&P setup I installed around 6 years ago. I don't drive it often but now that everything is in and settled the bump steer is terrible. I've read a few threads here and now realise there are better systems available preferably the CBR, but my question is if there is anything that will work with what I've got rather than pulling out the CPP mini subframe kit for the CBR?

Thanks for your time
Nath

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I'm also trying to find an R&P system that will work with the CPP mini subframe. I'd heard that the CBR will not work. Seems like lot of folks are using the Flaming River system

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm also trying to find an R&P system that will work with the CPP mini subframe. I'd heard that the CBR will not work. Seems like lot of folks are using the Flaming River system
Yes I saw their kit and thought the rear style R&P might work. It's just whether the quality/durability holds up. If I lived in the US I'd consider saving and buying the CBR but the shipping and import taxes makes it difficult to change now. I wish I had read this forum prior to deciding on CPP and more so unisteer.

Cheers for the responses

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
@Nath43
The CBR rack and pinion setup is NOT compatible with the CPP Mini subframe kit..

The forward tube on the CBR lower control arms are curved downwards to allow for clearance of the tie rods from the rack to the steering arms on the spindles.. The CPP lower control arms are flatter and won’t clear the tie rods.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper
Tire Wheel Grille Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
581 Posts
my '63 SS has the CPP mini sub - has what is likely a Unisteer power steering rack - I don't know for sure because a previous owner had the manual CPP rack replaced - has the Unisteer large remote reservoir with a Tpe II power steer pump - that I am in process of replacing with Summit Racing pump - this is the second Tuff Stuff pump that I have
Automotive tire Hood Automotive fuel system Vehicle brake Automotive exhaust
Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
replaced because seal failed on Tuff Stuff unit again - pics from under car when I first got it - much cleaner now -

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahh, mine is manual r&P but even looking at the two tie rods they are at completely different angles/lengths. And, there's some slop/lash in the rack. I might just have to bite the bullet and ditch the CPP for CBR.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
is the bump steer worse with one tire over the other, is it worse for the shorter/steeper tie rod
would lowering front put tie rods at less of an angle

I have 63 coupe with CPP mini sub frame, flaming river manual rack, but also have coil overs that I can adjust for desired ride height
I had car for a while with just CPP and rack, added the coil overs later...I will never run a first gen without also going coil overs
lower control arms and tie rods are parallel to floor at ride height
I have zero complaints with front suspension and handling, I push the car a bit but by no means am I racing

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
is the bump steer worse with one tire over the other, is it worse for the shorter/steeper tie rod
would lowering front put tie rods at less of an angle

I have 63 coupe with CPP mini sub frame, flaming river manual rack, but also have coil overs that I can adjust for desired ride height
I had car for a while with just CPP and rack, added the coil overs later...I will never run a first gen without also going coil overs
lower control arms and tie rods are parallel to floor at ride height
I have zero complaints with front suspension and handling, I push the car a bit but by no means am I racing
Are you running a front or rear rack? Drop or stock spindles?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
rack bolts up to stock steering box and idler arm locations, with rear steer steering arms
stock spindles
as 63 car was originally 4 lug, converted to 5 lug and disc brakes, but spindles are 5 lug drum spindles for a 64/65

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rack bolts up to stock steering box and idler arm locations, with rear steer steering arms
stock spindles
as 63 car was originally 4 lug, converted to 5 lug and disc brakes, but spindles are 5 lug drum spindles for a 64/65
Thanks, I do have the ability to go lower. And I think that would level out both in my case too. I'll have to jack the car up again to be sure but I believe the shorter spindle is worse. I also thought I could get a new mounting plate plasma cut so that it dropped the r+P and centred it, provided the steering shaft or joints don't foul on anything.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Bump steer is the product of unequal length control arms and steering linkage that doesn’t operate on the same arch. It’s not really a ride height issue that will cause it or correct it.. You can change the ride height and have it all perfectly aligned static but when the suspension cycles up or down the two different arch’s of the control arms and the steering linkage will act against each other and there will still be bump steer..

This is more likely to be caused by linkage that is shorter length then the distance from the lower control arm chassis pivot point to the ball joint..

These pictures show front suspensions that have control arms and steering linkage that are operating on the same arch and should not have any bump steer..
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper
Hood Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Electrical wiring Auto part

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well unisteer blows as does CPP, Heidts makes the best made in American front clip for the deuce imho
If the rack is as little as 1/8 unparalleled bump steer will be terrific (had that problem on a BMW 320I) it makes the car want to hog woller when u hit a dip or a bump

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well unisteer blows as does CPP, Heidts makes the best made in American front clip for the deuce imho
If the rack is as little as 1/8 unparalleled bump steer will be terrific (had that problem on a BMW 320I) it makes the car want to hog woller when u hit a dip or a bump
Yes I agree. Although the ccp mini subframe and brake kit are nice products and fitted well the rear steer design of the unisteer isv definitely lacking. I'm trying to get in touch with CBR to find the package dimensions and weight of the manual no column r&P but not having a lot of luck. I think they may be really busy because there's a 6-8 week lead time and unfortunately I can't organise shipping without knowing the package dimensions and weight. Has anyone ordered from them recently?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts