Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 350 6-71 blower engine is fouling plugs now and then and it has just a basic Mallory Unilite and common chrome super stock accell coil. I have an MSD 6AL and MSD Pro Power coil I pulled from a running car that I might install to see if it helps the problem. Does anyon have the achematics for a
6AL install with a Unilite distributor? Another thing that raises a question is on the back of the 6AL box is says do not use MSD Pro-Power coil part #8201??? This is the coild I have and that's what the previous owner was using with the 6AL so I know it worked. Any idea why MSD doesn't recomend the coil for this box? Is it sometimes tough to light off the fire with a boosted setup?-this is the first blower engine I've had. Using AC R43 spark plugs that I usually have good luck with.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Any idea why MSD doesn't recomend the coil for this box?
I don't know why they don't want you to use it with that box, but that coil isn't meant to be used for street driving. It is for short duration use only--as in drag racing--but I've driven mine a few hundred miles at a time for many years without a problem.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help! Maybe MSD doesn't recomend that coil with the 6AL because that box is more a street/strip deal and the 7AL is recomended for competition only? I think I'll run it anyway since the last guy that had it was and it worked fine. There's also a warning sticker on the box that says do not use with solid core spark plug wires.

Years ago I ran a dual point with accel supercoil and solid core wires-it would throw a spark 3" and would fire a chokeless smallblock at -20F, things were simple then:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts