Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last 2 sets of ET streets ( 26 X 10.5 X 15 ) I had have worn out the outer edge of one on the tires all the way to the threads before the line was even worn off the center. Looks like tire pressure may be too low but I run them at 16-18 PSI. First set the drivers side wore like that then this set the passenger side wore like that. The other tire still looks good. Leaf spring 66 nova weighs 3350 lbs. Stick car. Just bought these a few months ago. Have a lot of runs on them. I can understand them wearing out but I have seen cars where these tires look like slicks. If I would run mine that long the outside edges would be worn all the way thru !!! Any ideas ?

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wheels are 8" which I think should be ok but I will check. Did yours wear on the outside edges ? And it is only on one side.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
And it is only on one side.
If it's only one side of the tire, the housing is bent. That wouldn't explain it moving from one side to the other, but if you have it checked I think that's what you'll find. My stock 12 bolt did it, I had it straightened, and it came back. The Moser has much thicker tubes than the stock housing. A back brace will help, but no guarantees.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is on both sides of the tire, inner and outter edges, but only one side of the car. This time it is the passeneger side tire and the last set it did it on the drivers side.

·
Registered
663 Posts
did you check all the spring bushings/springs/locating pins on the rear/ sounds crazy but did you measure both rims.

·
Registered
31 Posts
make sure both rims have the same width and back space. check rearend for being square in the the car and that the axle tube's arn't bent a little.
also when i raced in the the nsca that was the tire we had to use and we would always rotate the tire from side to side every 3 to 4 passes to keep them wearing good after 15 to 20 passes most of us would replace them. you have to realize these were heads up cars and we need every advantange so tire's were changed alot and by the way most of us change out the newer style drag radial's and slicks just as offten

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Mine did the same thing and my housing is bent. My drivers side is worn out on the inner side the same way. A couple years ago I was at the drag strip and the tires started rubbing on the drivers side wheel tub. My car uses ladder bars and floaters and the car started sitting crooked mine is bent so bad. I'm in the middle of building a new 12 bolt right now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts