Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I am currently upgrading my suspension to a ridetech kit with a 11" wilwood disc brake conversion. Also getting the DSE minitubs installed.

The wheels I am looking at are 18x9/18x10 Billet Specialties Mags. The tire sizes I am looking at are 275 35 18/295 35 18.

My question is there are several different types of Backspacing options for me to choose from. I just don't know what to pick. I understand what it is I just don't know what will fit!

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I would get the wheel wells finalized and then start looking at wheels. Whenever I get a wheel made I always keep the wheel centered in the wheel well and put the additional depth on the inside towards the center of the car. Then if I need a little room on the outside of the rim I’ll look to see how much room I can get but that’s only just a hair and I never run a tire/rim that completely fills the space in the wheel well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Can you not just order the wheels and tires with the offset you want on the wheel... Set the car at Ride height on blocks with no rear end and tubs cut out. Center your wheels/tires in the wheel wells. Measure from mounting pad to mounting pad on wheels. Then have rear end cut down to size or order rear end to specifications. That's how I've done in the past and works well. Especially when you want a particular set up. Remember when measuring your wheel that its an inch wider than you are ordering. So a 10 is actually an 11, etc.

Hope this makes sense. I told moser my measurements and they built my rear end to specs. Worked great

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would get the wheel wells finalized and then start looking at wheels. Whenever I get a wheel made I always keep the wheel centered in the wheel well and put the additional depth on the inside towards the center of the car. Then if I need a little room on the outside of the rim I’ll look to see how much room I can get but that’s only just a hair and I never run a tire/rim that completely fills the space in the wheel well.
Ok I hear what you're saying, but I'm not looking to get wheels made, I am just planning on buying a set online. But before I do how would I know how they fit? That's what I'm asking.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you not just order the wheels and tires with the offset you want on the wheel... Set the car at Ride height on blocks with no rear end and tubs cut out. Center your wheels/tires in the wheel wells. Measure from mounting pad to mounting pad on wheels. Then have rear end cut down to size or order rear end to specifications. That's how I've done in the past and works well. Especially when you want a particular set up. Remember when measuring your wheel that its an inch wider than you are ordering. So a 10 is actually an 11, etc.

Hope this makes sense. I told moser my measurements and they built my rear end to specs. Worked great
Ok so if I understand you right, you just ordered whatever you liked and then you had to cut down the rear end? How much did that cost you? I wasn't necessarily planning on more work than I needed, I just wanted to make sure I bought a wheel that would fit. I'm trying to save me the hassle of ordering wheels only to have to send them back because they don't fit.

And when you say it's actually an inch wider is because the "10" is measured from the inside of the wheel lips where the bead of the tire goes right? So physically the rim is wider than that spec.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ok so if I understand you right, you just ordered whatever you liked and then you had to cut down the rear end? How much did that cost you? I wasn't necessarily planning on more work than I needed, I just wanted to make sure I bought a wheel that would fit. I'm trying to save me the hassle of ordering wheels only to have to send them back because they don't fit.

And when you say it's actually an inch wider is because the "10" is measured from the inside of the wheel lips where the bead of the tire goes right? So physically the rim is wider than that spec.
You are correct on the wheel width. It is measured inside the wheel lips...cutting down rear ends vary area to area and if you have to buy new axles or cut them down. Shorting rear end can be $200 and up

If your getting off shelf wheels and doing mini tub. I would put tubs in and take measurements on all your clearances with the rear end you have now. Get tire dimensions from online tire calc and figure them with clearances as well. Remember if you have a 10 inch wheel with 5 inch backspace. It would be 6 inches of front space because it’s actually 11 wide instead of 10. Learned that the hard way

·
Registered
79 Posts
Another way since your doing off shelf and not custom backspace....just borrow a wheel from a hot rod buddy to mock up. Should be easy to find one similar. A lot of companies stick with standard backspacing

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are correct on the wheel width. It is measured inside the wheel lips...cutting down rear ends vary area to area and if you have to buy new axles or cut them down. Shorting rear end can be $200 and up

If your getting off shelf wheels and doing mini tub. I would put tubs in and take measurements on all your clearances with the rear end you have now. Get tire dimensions from online tire calc and figure them with clearances as well. Remember if you have a 10 inch wheel with 5 inch backspace. It would be 6 inches of front space because it’s actually 11 wide instead of 10. Learned that the hard way
I appreciate the help!! Thanks for the info

·
Registered
809 Posts
Ok I hear what you're saying, but I'm not looking to get wheels made, I am just planning on buying a set online. But before I do how would I know how they fit? That's what I'm asking.
You won’t until you get the wheel wells finalized. Why take a chance on a set of wheels that might fit? Are you looking at a cast,one piece wheel of a 2 piece wheel? I’ve had a lot of wheels made over the years,get your measurements and go from there. The best way to find what will fit is out and OEM wheel on the car,like the spare,get the car on a set of ramps or something that will allow you to look at the entire area surrounding the tire and determine how much room you have on the inside and outside of the tire.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What wheel offset do you have now? Is the adequate room for the wheel? If so, how much wider will the tub be by adding the DSE tub. If it's 2" then add 2" to your current wheel's backspacing. Done. If you want the wheels to be more deep dish then you are into shortening your rear end.
Not sure tbh on the offset now. I have some drag rims on their now as the car was setup for pro street. I am looking to go for more of a pro touring look. Not necessarily deep dish, but I see what you mean about shortening the rear end. I will have to take a look when I get the tubs done to see how far back I can go. My goal is a 295 on the back and I know that will fit. It's just finding the wheel to put on there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts