Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the gas tank and rearend in my 68 and I'm curious on what people have done to clean the underbody to make it look new. Im scrapping it now to get what I can off then I'm wondering what other tool I could use to get as clean as possible. Any chemicals I can spray to help with this, special tool I could buy. Wire brush doesnt really cut it, also have small die grinder but I cant get it in all the smaller tight spots. Plan to get it the best I can spray some rust protective paint and was going to spray with a truck bed liner and or a rubberized underbody spray. I did the truck liner on my other import car on the inner wheel wells and turned out great. Any help appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahaha I actually posted this then I say that post right after i hit the post button lol so this is a worthless thread lol

·
Registered
344 Posts
I saw :D
Trunk floor doesn't look bad at all. It might feel it takes a long time to clean but remember while doing it, that some of us,including me, had to replace the whole trunk floor because it was like swizz cheese.
Just go with it,you'll have result in no time!

·
Registered
671 Posts
I did my first gen last fall, looks like there is more undercoating I dealt with, and it was on a rotisserie, I used a angle grinder, with 4 inch wire wheel, I then coated bare metal with POR 15, then sprayed over that with rust-oleum I mini tub so sprayed inner fender wells with a sound deadener

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,315 Posts
When I did my 72 I used a torch, puddy knife and a rag fun,fun,fun. Glad that sh** is over with.
Exactly how I did it, came right off with a torch. Boy did it stink and I never want to do that again. Took an entire summer on a rotisserie. I could not imagine laying under it while doing it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Another option is to use a tool that is called a crud thug, crud cutter or metal blaster. They all are the the same tool with different names. They work really well for eating away the black tar and for cleaning the rust off. They can be used for all sorts of different jobs as well. They work really well because they keep the rpm speed down in the 3000 rpm rather than a electric 4 1/2 cut off wheel with a brush on the end which spins around 10,000 and just melts the black tar rather than "eating it". Its not a fun job to get all that crap off of there but it looks so nice when it's done. The hot item right now to use for truck bed liner look is raptor liner. Its affordable and easy to use. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
All kinda wire wheel attachments for angle grinders and drill motors as well as wire brushes. I’ve done one of my cars this way but I don’t look forward to doing it again..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help. I got a air chisel from Harbor Freight for $26. Spray it with the chemical stripper. I think I'm replacing the rear frame clip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts