Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a decent plastic lenses cleaner or wax? I was washing my 2000 Z71 and the tail light lenses are starting to look dull and ugly. I live SC and the truck stays outside so it gets hammered with sun and weather. RM

·
Registered
787 Posts
I purchased a used Lexus that the front headlight lenses were so bad, that everyone including Lexus said replace them.

I used "Meguiars Plastx, Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish" on them.

Comes in a 10oz white plastic bottle with a black red & yellow label. I might have used 1oz between both lenses, and those lenzes are big on a Lexus.
Its a blue cream, that I would suspect acts like ( is) a 3M micro abrasive/polish.
I could not believe how clear they ended up, like factory clear, and they started out 100% fogged over, and scratched real bad.
It did take about 30 mins per lens of good old rub rub rub.

I have a garage full of part used bottles of every polish/compound by every company out there, but I would rate this product #1 for cleaning plastic lenses of any kind.

·
Registered
353 Posts
treat that plastic just like it's paint. Any mild abrasive, even toothpaste, and buff with a buffer to save on the elbow grease. go nice and slow and the results will be like new.

Frank

·
Registered
243 Posts
There is a polish bonnet I bought at NAPA. Goes in your drill with a mild abrasive on a foam pad. Worked Awsome. Did my dash lense and it looked brand new. Takes a little time but it takes minor scratches out and makes the bigger ones less noticible. Brings back the new shine look as well.

·
5,145 Posts
Although the automakers don't recommend repair for liability reasons, I sand and buff them just like paint. Paint is a plastic also.
I use 1500 on a finish DA if needed, 3000 Trizac and buff them.
It takes only seconds with each step.
I'm sure 2000 wet and a buff would do the same.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Simichrome has worked well for me. If you can't find it locally, search ebay. It's pretty cheap.

Flitz reportedly works fairly well, too.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I have used the meguiers plastx with great results.I have used it to take yellowing off of headlights (looked new afterwards), and the tailights on my truck ..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts