Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a ball-park cost of boring a block .030 over? Anything else I should do while its getting worked on? Hot-tanked, etc? Also, ballpark cost when/if I decide to stroke it?

This will be a daily(less than 5 miles) driver and a once a month track car.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
The best thing to do is shop around.
The most I spent was 200$ to get the block vated, magnafluxed, bored/honed, but to get the mains checked was another 50$ and if the mains are not straight then it was another 100 bucks on top of that to get them lined up.
The cheapest I found which I use now and will use as long as I can was 100$ to get the block bored and vated. and that was all I had to have done to that block.
All depends on what the block needs and just remember sometimes you get what you pay for but other times you get riped off :D Good luck.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
well... i'd recommend finding a GOOD shop and take a list of what ya want done. save the money and do it all at once. there's lotsa procedures you'd prolly like ta have done and not all procedures are done in the same department of the shop... so there's scheduling involved. ya start taking in and out and in and out the engine from the shop for work and it's gonna take a billion years ta get done. i'd say, do it all at once and let the shop do ya up and get'r done for ya.

i worked for quite a few years in a shop and scheduling was my biggest job. heads, cranks, block work, balancing, rod work... you name it we did it all and getting it all ta come together at one time took a lot of work at times juggling tickets... we prided ourselves on doing the best we could do and we all worked together for the common goals. quality machine work with a reasonable timeframe.

when a guy came in with one item, it wasn't really scheduled, it was stuck in line first come first serve, but components were scheduled ta be completed together... took less time doing lots then littles... if that makes sense.

hope i helped.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I suggest you have it honed with torque plates on it. It costs a couple bucks more but is well worth it. Cheap usually = no plates. JMHO, RM

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
one way i save a lot of cash on my machine work was the local napa has a machine shop and the guy that does the work would do stuff on the side for cash. it would save me about 40% on what i would pay at the counter plus it puts cash in his pocket. cash talks, you just have to find a good shop to do the work!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Most places around here charge $8-$10 a hole for boring. I have nearly $1200 in machine work in my engine.....but I had a lot of work done to it.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
it really depends on what part of the country you live in. some of the prices guys say they spend on machine work makes me shake my head.. so just call around and get some prices and dont limit yourself to just the shops that are near you. sometimes driving a hour or 2 can save you several hundred on the work!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts