Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the gm type 2 power steering pump(plastic reservior) work ok, if I swap it in for my early unit(saginaw) with the metal resivior. the type 2 is smaller and a little nicer imo but I wasnt sure if it would work with my saginaw gear box. thanks Ryan

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I'm not sure. You need to be a little more diligent as to keeping the appropriate fluid level, because the fluid will expand and contract some during the run cycle (in a smaller container that it is in) making the fluid level more critical to observe.

Is the plastic style remote from the pump / engine?

If so...the only thing that concerns me, is if you pull the reservoir out from being in the cooling medium of the fan, will that cause the fluid / pump / steering box to run hotter? Probably not but...

I've seen this approach on Street Rods and it seems to work O.K., and of course NEWER cars designed with a remote reservoir do fine. But then again some incorporate a cooler too!

Other than that, if the smaller PUMP puts out similar pressure and volume, it should work!

Just some thoughts...I'll defer to someone more in the know, but you've piqued my curiosity! :)

Max

1 - 2 of 2 Posts