Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, when I replaced the head gaskets on this 383 (vortek heads) I had done research in regards to torque for the head bolts. I was finding 80 ft/lbs so that's what I did. Afterwards I was finding 65 ft/lbs.
Will the extra 15 lbs make a difference? Should I reset the bolts?
Second, I'm posting a photo below of something I dont know what they are.
I found them laying ontop of the engine when I took over the project.
Anybody have a guess?

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
I believe it is 65. If you already did 80 I'd probably just leave them. Wouldn't want to take a chance on messing with the head gasket seal by loosening and re-torquing bolts. Did you use new bolts or re-use old ones? Use oil under the washers and sealant on the threads? You might get other opinions on this, that's just mine.

I can't see the pic.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have issues with pics for some reason. I cant remember if I used oil and sealant. I did this about 3 years ago. Engine hasn't ran in 4. Recently pulled it again and am slowly starting where I left off before moving to new house.
Renovations to house have been taking up all free time.
I'll try again with pic. 20190120_135615_1548016033867.jpg

·
Registered
188 Posts
I remember now, this engine is from the other thread. I'd leave it, just put on the new intake, fire it up and see what you got. Once I started re-doing head bolts, checking the cam and so forth I'd end up just going through the whole motor. JMO

Saw them for a sec. but pics went away. Not sure what they were.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's pretty much where I was headed anyway. Just checking.
I received the new Moroso stroker oil pan from Amazon Prime - $200.
Since I believe it's best to install this with the timing cover off I decided to pull the cover because I want to replace the thrust button with a nylon one and also pull the top sprocket to identify the cam, which turns out to be a Lunati MBII.
I used way too much RTV the first time and need to clean it up also.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Vortec heads usually have the plastic gaskets. If so, the torque is only 11ft/lbs. Much more than that and you will split the gaskets.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Not sure why I have problems with pics. I'm using a smartphone and not a PC.
I am curious what these are.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts