Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay Here's the plan. I'm on a mission to build a light, low, tubbed, street/strip, small block (406), TH350, NA, 63 Nova SS thats looks good and will run in the 9's through the mufflers on pump gas and is totaly streetable. A year and a half ago I bought a shell of a car to start with. It's a true SS from CA that had been completly dismantled and sold off. I had the shell Soda Blasted and have 2 new full quarters to put on (L/H already on).

I've been earning extra money doing Fab work on other peoples car to buy parts for the Nova and I'm doing pretty well. Okay so I have everything to build a 4 link rear suspension and a mustang II front suspension with a 2x3 box frame from S&W Racecars about a year ago. I Have all the suspension peices with QA1 Shocks. I'm using lots of fiberglass from VFN (doors, front end, rear bumper & deck lid). I already have the front end (it weights 25# including the bumper), and the doors are suposed to be here this week. I just got Wheels and tires a couple weeks ago. I'm gunna run the Street lites, 15x14 out back and 15x4 up front. Rear tires are 29x18.5x15 M/T Sportsman Pro's, fronts are 26x6.5x15 M/T to match. I'll post pictures as I have time and progress to share. This will be a long term project as I still have to make lots of money to buy lots more parts. I hope to have it out by next season but if it takes longer it does. Here's a few of the earlier pics. I'll post some more recent stuff soon. O yea I also built a new garage after I bought the car. It's 26'x30' the car gave me a good excuse to have my own shop but it also kept me busy for a while. The first pics of the car are in my next door neighbors garage where I used to do my hobby work.

Here's a picture after I put the Left Quarter on it. (pay no attention to the hole in the floor yet....

The first cut was Deep, Fitting for the rear crossmember.

Okay the second cut was way deeper..... I also braced up the body before I took the whole floor out to keep the rockers where they should be.

Then I put together the front frame section. It is a standard width Hopefully it works out so I don't need to get creative...

If your wondering about the stance it's gunna be low. The front will sit a little lower maybe an inch or so of rake, not a lot but the rear is at ride hight.

I'll post more pictures soon. I have a few things in the works. I had to scrap the formed frame rails because they we're tweeked and had just plain ugly bends. I looked around for someone who makes mandrel bent rails that I liked and couldn't find any so I decided to just made my own. I've done a few ladder bar rail but never any with so many miter cuts. It actaull went pretty well and they are extremely straight and uniform. I impressed myself even!! I loosley followed the design of the ones I liked adding a little more room in the trunk. I'll post pics soon.

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
Oh man I can wait to see that thing done. Keep the progress pic's coming.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I got some work done last night. I put the rear cross member in it's final place. It's in temporarily because I plan on pulling the body back off once fabrication is done to paint or powdercoat the chassis. I got the rear frame rails welded in along with the front 4 link brackets. I also Figured out how much I need to narrow the front frame to get the needed steering clearance. Looks like 3"s will do it. I'm gunna do everything possible to keep the rack centered so I don't get any weird steering axis problems but this may leave the shaft a little close to the frame, we'll see. I ordered everything for the rear and should get it next week. Strange aluminum center section, Moser 31 spline axles (trying to keep it light), housing ends (big Ford) and bearings. If I need to upgrade to heavier axles later it will just be a matter of new axles and a spool, the 31 spline axles are very strong for their weight.

I took some pictures of the frame rails I made up. The old ones look blued up where I heated them to try and straighten them out but there was too many places they were tweeked and I just wasen't happy with the way the looked anyhow. I also move the rear downward bend forward some for a little more room in the trunk and still leaves plenty of room for the antiroll bar and shocks. I'm gunna have lots of fun changing tires if the need arises

Rear frame rails & brackets welded in place.

Here's how the steering will look with the front frame 3 inches narrower.

And a stance shot. The front end is not really in place because the front frame hasn't been cut to length yet but it's close and it will come down another inch or so up front..

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks!! It's 26 deep and 30 wide. I can fit 3 cars in there by putting mine on the dollys and sliding it to the middle. And I still have a decent amount of room to work on the one in the left side. It works out pretty well.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Nice Work Todd and Great pictures! Looking forward to more progress pics:yes:

Another Todd:prost::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks fellas!! I'm trying to find time to make some progress. I have a few projects to finish for other people though.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Little more progress

I got the front frame narrowed by taking 3" section out of the front crossmember. It was a pain because I didn't anticipate a problem and welded in the X brace in already so I had to cut that out and chop an inch and a half off of each side to get it back in. I also got most of the parts I need to get the rear housing narrowed and put together, I chopped it today and got the brackets tacked in place. I was going to run a back brace but i'm going to run without and save a little weight. With the power I'll be starting out with (around 600) I should be fine without since the car will be light. I also have the frame mounted to the body so I can move the car around and get it up off the floor some. I wanted to keep everything at ride hight to set up the rear suspension and get the frame situated in the body. I tried to leave as much room as I could under everything for exhaust by leaving the frame a bit higher in the body. I am going to end up making tunnels in the outriggers for the oval pipe I'm going to use to make it work. Anyway, some pics

Couple of inches off the axle tubes......

Just playing around with my stuff :D

My little helper

Thats my old car in the background, A 72 Rally nova.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
They're 29x18.5x15's on 15x14 wheels with 4 1/2" backspace. The 29 inch tall tires fit pretty well without stretching the wheel openings not to mention with it that low I would have 2 more inches of tire hight to deal with. I would have had to put the wheel tubs up to the top of the package tray to go with a bigger tire.

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
First, let me say that I certainly envy your fabrication skills! To me, this is what the hobby is all about... building a fast, good-looking car that can be driven on the street or raced at the strip. This is definitely going to be one of THE treads to follow :yes::yes: .

I'm gunna have lots of fun changing tires if the need arises
I've had a similar project in the back of my mind for a long time. I just need to find a shell (and the money...). I've been thinking about the tire-changing issue and came up with something I've never seen done on a pro-street car. Why couldn't you tap the rear hubs and use wheel bolts like the German and some Japanese cars use? You could always put flat nuts and 'wave' washers on each bolt behind the hub. It would still be a PITA to change, but at least you wouldn't have to drop the rear suspension on the street if you had to change a tire.

·
Registered
730 Posts
excellent build ... front "clip" I guess thats what you call it even though you have a frame looks BEEFY.

small hijack?

How big is your shop and does it work well? I know its never big enough but looks like a nice size.

arndog

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Hey Todd! I envy your talent!:yes: Your an inspiration to alot of us! Build is going great! Keep the updates coming!:D

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First, let me say that I certainly envy your fabrication skills! To me, this is what the hobby is all about... building a fast, good-looking car that can be driven on the street or raced at the strip. This is definitely going to be one of THE treads to follow :yes::yes: .

I've had a similar project in the back of my mind for a long time. I just need to find a shell (and the money...). I've been thinking about the tire-changing issue and came up with something I've never seen done on a pro-street car. Why couldn't you tap the rear hubs and use wheel bolts like the German and some Japanese cars use? You could always put flat nuts and 'wave' washers on each bolt behind the hub. It would still be a PITA to change, but at least you wouldn't have to drop the rear suspension on the street if you had to change a tire.
Thanks for the compliments! I did put some thought into doing the wheel bolt thing and it wouldn't be hard with they way the studs come through the axles on the Moser axles. They are just bolts that come in from the back. The real interferance problem isn't the studs it more because the wheel is so far up into to wheel opening. Once I trim the studs to length they won't be a factor at all really. I have the wheels out towards the quarter more than usual because I just like they way it looks better knowing it's going to be a bigger pain. The axle/brakes need to come down pretty far for the wheel to be able to tilt or slide out the side. I did give it a try and it comes out without unbolting anything other than the 4 link bars and the anti-roll bar links. I think the wheel bolts would help out for sure in some setups!!

excellent build ... front "clip" I guess thats what you call it even though you have a frame looks BEEFY.

small hijack?

How big is your shop and does it work well? I know its never big enough but looks like a nice size.

arndog
Yea I just call it that because it was a seperate peice from the rest of the frame.
The shop is 26x30, I really desigend it to have plenty of room to work on 2 cars at a time but if I slide mine to the center I can get 3 in there with room to work on the one on the left side.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A few updates

Hey Todd! I envy your talent!:yes: Your an inspiration to alot of us! Build is going great! Keep the updates coming!:D
Thank you very much...

I have a little progress to post. Car is almost rolling now, just have to make rack mounts and I could push it out for some daylight. :yes:

Tacking in the 4 link brackets

The front frame in place

Back out again after I made up the anti-roll bar links and tacked everything in place for it to be welded together.

Rear end after welding using a rear end jig

I thought I snapped a few with it all put back together???? but I guess not

·
Registered
714 Posts
Man, that is going to be one awesome ride when finished!:yes: I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before. You are doing pretty much exactly what I would like to do someday, except you got some awesome fab skills.:D You are a definite inspiration, keep the progress pics coming.
P.S. Funny, I just built a new garage the same size. I am in the final stages of finishing it now.
BTW, my name is Todd too.:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As long as you don't know where I live I feel safe..... LOL Small world sometimes

Thanks for the compliments. It's going to take time to get it finished but I should have a break here in a few weeks to work on my own car. In the middle of putting a 572 in a 67 Camaro Conv right now that I mini-tubbed a few months back. It just got back from the upholstry shop and is going for paint when I'm done with it. Should be a neat peice when it's all done. Anyway, once I'm finished with that I'm going to learn how to use my new bender and get my cage done before I work on anything else.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts