Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have no idea whats going on. they suddenly stopped working and i dont know if a wire came loose or what. if someone knows if there is a common problem like this with a solution or anything.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Might be that your "flasher" has burnt out. Round metal cylinder about an inch tall and inch and a quarter across with 2 spade conectors that should be plugged in under the dash close to the fuses.
they're cheap maybe $2.

·
Registered
419 Posts
There is also a second one above the radio near the heater controls. This one is for the blinkers. The one on the top left corner of the fuse panel is for the hazards.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks, ill get a new one for the hazards, i got the signals working today

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hawk1 said:
There is also a second one above the radio near the heater controls. This one is for the blinkers. The one on the top left corner of the fuse panel is for the hazards.
Does this apply to the 76 Nova's too? I have a similar problem. My right directional will come on but won't blink. I changed the round one in the fuse box under the dash but it didn't make any difference. Checked all the regular fuses and changed the bulb to. No luck so far. Where exactly is the other one that you talked about above the radio. Is that actually in the back of the dash by the radio and heater?

·
3,863 Posts
If it doesn't blink one of the bulbs is burnt out. Did you check the front, rear and side marker lamps?

·
Registered
419 Posts
chrismc said:
Does this apply to the 76 Nova's too? I have a similar problem. My right directional will come on but won't blink. I changed the round one in the fuse box under the dash but it didn't make any difference. Checked all the regular fuses and changed the bulb to. No luck so far. Where exactly is the other one that you talked about above the radio. Is that actually in the back of the dash by the radio and heater?
Not sure about the 76? I found once on my 72 the hazards and directionals would work but the bulb in the dash wouldn't flash. I switched the bulbs with some new ones as the originals were burnt. Still nothing. I hunted and hunted, going so far as to check the printed circuit on the back of the panel and everything was good. Even switched the bulbs again with some known good ones, still nothing. I put the meter on the circuit and verified they were getting power, checked the bulb sockets and they were getting power, but still no light would flash in the dash. I pulled the bulbs turned them 180 degrees and Hotdog! :eek: They started working... Might be your solution?

·
3,863 Posts
I tried pulling the bulbs and turning them 180*, but I couldn't get the round part to fit in to the socket:eek: :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bulb doesn't blink

I've replaced all the front and rear bulbs. I'll try the side ones and see what happens. Give the 180 degree thing a shot too. Heck, at tis point I'll try anything

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
chrismc said:
Yep there are 2 flashers, I think they are the same part just in different circuits. But the one for the turn signals can burn out on just one side and the other side will work.
If you have a little multimeter you can see if the lite socket is getting "blinking" current and if it is the problem is probably the bulb, if not I'd change the other flasher before I started chasing wires.
The other flasher looks just like the one by the fuses but it is usually just plugged into a plastic socket and tucked up behind the dash.
Hope this helped and good luck!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Another thing it could be is that there is rust on the fuse. I had this happen to me and lemme tell ya, it was driving me mad. I replaced all the bulbs, flashers, and even the brake light switch (twice!) because the fuse looked good. So I pulled it out, sanded the contact areas of the fuse and the panel, and put it back in. Voila! All my lights were working!

Matt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts