Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of rebuilding the steering column in my 64 chevy II and need to order a turning signal switch. I understand there are 2 different one for that year, how can I tell which one I need?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I am in the process of rebuilding the steering column in my 64 chevy II and need to order a turning signal switch. I understand there are 2 different one for that year, how can I tell which one I need?
There is an early switch and a late switch.The early switch isnt too common but if you have the old one to use to verify you have the right one that would help you out.The early switch was used on some 63s and then the design was changed sometime in 63.Now this info is based on what I learned after I figured out something was wrong with a switch I had,did some digging and this is the info I got from different sources.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
The late switch is the same as 65. Has the bearing integrated. The early switch is a different design and the bearing needs to be installed.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Be aware there's 2 types of turn signal switches for 64... 1st design and 2nd design. The 1st design (1963-64) unit uses a different bolt pattern on the cup and the repop switches are crap quality. 1st design original is imprinted with SAE Q63 . 2nd design (1964-65) replacement is available from AC Delco and it's a good one. It is possible to upgrade the cup to 2nd design if you can find one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Without taking the steering wheel apart, how can you tell which design you have for the turn signal switch? I'm hoping there's an easier way than breaking into it.

Be aware there's 2 types of turn signal switches for 64... 1st design and 2nd design. The 1st design (1963-64) unit uses a different bolt pattern on the cup and the repop switches are crap quality. 1st design original is imprinted with SAE Q63 . 2nd design (1964-65) replacement is available from AC Delco and it's a good one. It is possible to upgrade the cup to 2nd design if you can find one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts