Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having a prob with my son’s ’77. Right turn signal goes off after making right turn but left won’t after left turn. Is this the turn signal cam or something more?

Headed to Carlisle tomorrow so we want to get the correct part(s). The car DOES have tilt, will that make a difference?

Thanks !!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Having a prob with my son’s ’77. Right turn signal goes off after making right turn but left won’t after left turn. Is this the turn signal cam or something more?

Headed to Carlisle tomorrow so we want to get the correct part(s). The car DOES have tilt, will that make a difference?

Thanks !!!

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
There are small springs that return the switch to off after making a turn. They come in left and right configurations and are easy to change and find. GM parts still sells them and they are the same into the 90 model years in most GM cars and trucks.
In this photo they are the round springs, the canceling cam hits them and shuts off the switch. If you can not find any locally PM your mailing address and I'll send you a pair of them. Tilt does not matter on this part.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Sound like the cancelling cam is bad or the switch could be so gummed up that the cam can't move it. Does it feel like the cam is trying to move it or is there no contact at all when returning from a left turn.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've noticed when turning left I don't hear/feel the "click" that is normally evident.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANKS Philip !!:yes:

How much of a pain in the butt are these to change? We'll be pulling his steering wheel in the future to replace so should I just pick up springs or a new canceling cam? I take it I'll see the problem but will replace both springs.

I know some cams are specific for tilt, but if the spring is the culprit it shouldn't be too bad.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
They change easily. Remove the wheel, the lock plate and then you will see the same view of the turn signal switch as I posted. Pull the long end out from under the tab and lift the spring out. But you will probably find one broken and/or missing. If you can find the pieces it would be best to remove them. The short part that fits down into the switch is usually where the spring breaks.
Since the right side works the cancel cam should be fine. FYI the parts above the turn signal switch are the same for tilt and standard. The lock cylinder is the same and the ignition switch wiring is the same, just indexed 180 degrees different. It will plug into either by just rotating it the right way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts