Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone or does anyone know if it would b worthwhile to add a turbo kit to a sbc 307. . i have a 400 block i wanted 2 buy 2 swap but have heard wives tales about them. . id like 2 stay creative and a little unique if possible. . i have been looking at this turbo on ebay "GT3076S Turbo" that says it fits 283-400 size sbc'z. . anyways i was just wondering if anyone with a b iut more knowledge could help. . id either save a bit more for the turbo kit which comes with the intercooler or just buy the 400 in and see how tht works. . which one would save more gas??

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have done a 307 turbo in a pickup. Stock engine with a draw through turbo ran pretty good. Ran about 8 psi and pump gas, NO PROBLEMS. Got great mileage and good torque, was faster than stock 400 in similar truck, maybe better than 454.
If you use forged pistons, good cam and heads, you can make a lot of power from the 307 and the smaller engine will get better mileage.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
:doh: I probably shouldn't even get involved in this thread just because of the thought of salvaging a 307. :eek: :no: :no: :no:

But putting a turbo on a 307 would be about as bad as putting one on my lawnmower. It would just be a senseless waste of money.

There is nothing about a 307 that is worth trying to squeeze 1 additional horse out of. Everything about a 307 is just wrong for performance.

Like you said, 400's have their "wives' tails" and that's all they are. There are many winning combinations out there that started with a 400.

But if you feel that you are going to cave into those tall tails then go out and find yourself a good 327 or 350. There are a ton of them out there and you won't have a ton of money into it trying to make it work. At least then you'll have a good start. :yes:

There's nothing I hate more than to see someone spending any money at all on something that's just destine not to work.

Remember when Ford put a turbo on a 4 cylinder Mustang and called it a "performance machine"!
:puke:

EDIT: If you want to be different build an inline 6! :yes: :yes: :yes:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Its your money and build what you like! truthfully a 6 would cost more to do than a 307 even if you wanted to be different.Some people dont think 305s are worth a hill of by product.....till they got outran by one! I say go for it ive seen some builds that were done in the 80s with far less better parts than whats available now run pretty decent.I think super chevy did a couple back in the mid late 80s that turned out well.know of a couple guys on the AMC forums that have done 304 with turbos that go like stink! and thats no performance engine either but they do run well.Face it any turbo set up is going to cost money but small turbo engines make sence.I say go for it!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Nothing wrong with a 307. If the motor is good, go for it and remember to have fun! We're not saving the world here, just having fun. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
turbo 307

Quite honestly I think I do wanna keep my little 307 an throw a nice turbo on it from a 86 thunderbird being those were pretty common and seem to b cheap for rebuilt ones. One thing I am asking around about is rpm range. What is a good cam to upgrade to and some heads for the 307. I love the torque of the little 307 but hate how it lags away when the small 200 hp kicks in. I feel if I have the turbo all tht sluggishness is bound 2 disappear. I don't want to really upgrade to a 350 maybe a 327 if they rev higher but anybody got any thoughts?

·
Registered
595 Posts
I did a couple of 307s in the late 70s with Ak Miller kits. They would outpull even a 454 and still got 307 mileage.
Just keep the boost down and the tune-up right and they are just fine.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
trw doesn't make forged pistons for a 307 anymore ,, that i can find ,,

there is nothing wrong with a 307 ,, i'd chose a 307 over a 305 any day ,, the piston is down in the bore a good bit with a 307 stock ,,, i'd deck the block to 9.000 and use a .020 gasket , that will give u a .040 deck clearence

so if you compute how they were stock ,, at a 9.025 ,, plus a gasket ,, your at .065 + deck clearence ,,,

a 307 responds to mods just like any other sbc ,, it just wasn't given much help from gm

u can use the KB 283 piston and a 400 rod and fix the deck too

a 307 piston , 400 rod , and a 3.562 crank fixes the deck ,,, all of this would mean rebalance ,, you can get a 3.562 4130 crank for around 360.00 bux

·
Registered
531 Posts
:doh: I probably shouldn't even get involved in this thread just because of the thought of salvaging a 307. :eek: :no: :no: :no:

But putting a turbo on a 307 would be about as bad as putting one on my lawnmower. It would just be a senseless waste of money.

There is nothing about a 307 that is worth trying to squeeze 1 additional horse out of. Everything about a 307 is just wrong for performance.

Like you said, 400's have their "wives' tails" and that's all they are. There are many winning combinations out there that started with a 400.

But if you feel that you are going to cave into those tall tails then go out and find yourself a good 327 or 350. There are a ton of them out there and you won't have a ton of money into it trying to make it work. At least then you'll have a good start. :yes:

There's nothing I hate more than to see someone spending any money at all on something that's just destine not to work.

Remember when Ford put a turbo on a 4 cylinder Mustang and called it a "performance machine"!

Damm you just broke my heart. I feel my stock 307 is pretty good specially after all I did to it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I like how you say there is nothing in a 307 worth trying to squeeze out horsepower. Well in my eyes I make a lot of runs in my old school 2 ( 2 capitol raceway or budds creek, to pick up the girlfriend to do this 2 do tht. Honestly unless you have driven one the 307 has a decent amount of torque and gets pretty good gas mileage so I'm not fillin up every 2 hrs. Now the idea of upgrading to a 6.6L with gas prices the way they are 3.78 where I'm at in the dmv area makes me think like........ I might wanna rebuild this 307 and throw tht turbo on there 4 650. The 400 will cost me $400 4 shortblock + heads. But i now I wanna see with the parts tht I do have. Aluminum dual plane intake, 4 barrel carb, and the possiblity of some 305 torquer heads 58cc might save me some gas $$with all my potato runs. Plus the compression is low on this 307. any other comments 4rm people. Help me out. This could b a stevesnovasite helpalong build. I'm all ears

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
trw doesn't make forged pistons for a 307 anymore ,, that i can find ,,

there is nothing wrong with a 307 ,, i'd chose a 307 over a 305 any day ,, the piston is down in the bore a good bit with a 307 stock ,,, i'd deck the block to 9.000 and use a .020 gasket , that will give u a .040 deck clearence

so if you compute how they were stock ,, at a 9.025 ,, plus a gasket ,, your at .065 + deck clearence ,,,

a 307 responds to mods just like any other sbc ,, it just wasn't given much help from gm

u can use the KB 283 piston and a 400 rod and fix the deck too

a 307 piston , 400 rod , and a 3.562 crank fixes the deck ,,, all of this would mean rebalance ,, you can get a 3.562 4130 crank for around 360.00 bux
Whoa that's a lot of things you could do 2 a 307. Wow. . I always thought what would happen with a shorter rod. So if I find tht 283 piston or keep the 307'z and the 400 crank + rods + rebalance. I won't have 2 bore the block or anything? Keep the thoughs coming I might make this a 307 build wholetime till I'm ready 2 throw turby the turbo up there. . Gotta find a blow thru carb or efi tht joint or something. But keep givin me ideas about baby 307. Cuz I love her but I'm not in love with her.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
You can bore it to 4" and get 350 pistons for your set up. Anything runs better when you force air and fuel to work. There is no replacement for cubic displacement. So do what you will enjoy and have fun doing it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
You can bore it to 4" and get 350 pistons for your set up. Anything runs better when you force air and fuel to work. There is no replacement for cubic displacement. So do what you will enjoy and have fun doing it.
The 307 is 3.25" stroke so he would need 327 pistons unless he changed to the 3.48" stroke 350 crank.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I was told that I could get a lot more power by just replacing the crankshaft of my 307. Is that possible.
You are most limited by your breathing ability. Like heads, intake, carb, and cam.
Many times I have replaced the top end on a 307 with 305 four barrel top end and you would not believe the increase in performance. A small cam makes it even better.
If you are going to change the crank it will cost enough for the other parts it is not cost effective. You would be better off with a 4' bore and use 327 pistons giving you a 327. I have done that numerous times also. The 4" bore and a 3.48" 350 crank gives you a 350 in a 307 block.
With an E Bay turbo and alcohol/water injection and a carb and intake, you can make 400+hp and live if tuned right with just a good stock 3.7.
Of course, anything you do to help the breathing pays off.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Whoa that's a lot of things you could do 2 a 307. Wow. . I always thought what would happen with a shorter rod. So if I find tht 283 piston or keep the 307'z and the 400 crank + rods + rebalance. I won't have 2 bore the block or anything? Keep the thoughs coming I might make this a 307 build wholetime till I'm ready 2 throw turby the turbo up there. . Gotta find a blow thru carb or efi tht joint or something. But keep givin me ideas about baby 307. Cuz I love her but I'm not in love with her.
u can't use the 307 pistons with anything but a stock crank , or the 400 rod / 3.562 crank deal i came up with ,,,, you could get a 3.25 crank off-set ground to correct the compression height of the pistons , use a small journal rod ,

with the crank offset ground to a 3.320 should be a doable deal , that corrects the deck to 9.015 with a 5.7 rod , and a 1.655 standard 307 piston , gets you 318 ci ,, use a .040 gasket ,, that should work ,,, i can get a crank offset ground for 150-200 bucks around here ,, it would have to be rebalanced , and get a set of small journal 5.7 rods ,, put a set of 58 cc heads on it ,, it has 10.2-1 with a .040 head gasket ,, 64 cc gets you 9.5 ,, a 307 has zilch for compression stock ,, and people wonder why they were weak

if you look on ebay 3.330 cranks from ex nascar motors are fairly common ,, they go cheap too ,, that would would put the piston .005 above the deck at 9.015 ,, go to a .045 gasket then ,, you might have to get the balancer snout turned down to SBC size ,, shouldn't be a big problem

there is a LS1 piston that looks like it might work with a 6.0 rod and a 3.75 crank ,,, vlave reliefs might need clearenced ,,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts