Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could any one suggest a good turbo brand other than Turbonetic's(SP?). I am thinking about putting one on my new motor combo and was wondering about how much money it's going to run me. I was alson thinking about converting over to achol fuel so I would'nt need a inter cooler. Any suggestion's or info is welcome. Again I am just playing with this idea.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
A LOT.

It's an expensive learning curve when you put it on a "real" engine and try and make some serious hp.

I have a serious question dude...What are you going to do with this car, besides test and tune? :confused:

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A LOT.

It's an expensive learning curve when you put it on a "real" engine and try and make some serious hp.

I have a serious question dude...What are you going to do with this car, besides test and tune? :confused:
Well if I leave it NA I will race the 5.80 index class and If put a turbo on it I might race the 5.0 index class at the SS race they have hear once a month. That also depend's what kind Hp #'s it turn's. There is also the Maxium impact race and Clash of the titan's. But I am not sure if the Clash is still up and running. I think I rember hearing some thing about that race series(SP?) possibly folding.

And beside's like I said this just a "IDEA" that I am playing with in my head. I understand that it will cost me alot of money to build and race this motor. I am not planning on getting into a point seris where I have to race 2 to 3 times a month just to stay in the point's. I understand where you are going with your question. And I appericate your concern.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Could any one suggest a good turbo brand other than Turbonetic's(SP?). I am thinking about putting one on my new motor combo and was wondering about how much money it's going to run me. I was alson thinking about converting over to achol fuel so I would'nt need a inter cooler. Any suggestion's or info is welcome. Again I am just playing with this idea.
Precision Turbo's is what all my friends run. Never seen one of them fail except when an oil line blew and the turbo touched down due to lack of oil. My buddy is a Precision dealer. PM me if you want a quote.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
at your level, a lot of people are using good old garretts. you probably need a 94mm+ maybe even a lot bigger not sure, but serious racers use the garrett a lot.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Well if I leave it NA I will race the 5.80 index class and If put a turbo on it I might race the 5.0 index class at the SS race they have hear once a month. That also depend's what kind Hp #'s it turn's. There is also the Maxium impact race and Clash of the titan's. But I am not sure if the Clash is still up and running. I think I rember hearing some thing about that race series(SP?) possibly folding.

And beside's like I said this just a "IDEA" that I am playing with in my head. I understand that it will cost me alot of money to build and race this motor. I am not planning on getting into a point seris where I have to race 2 to 3 times a month just to stay in the point's. I understand where you are going with your question. And I appericate your concern.
So...You want to run an index class with a turbo car? You may qualify, but you'll never go rounds. An index class is nothing more than a bracket race with a fixed, heads up dial in. You will never consistently hit a .400 pro tree with a turbo car, like you can with a NA or nitrous car...Never.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
So...You want to run an index class with a turbo car? You may qualify, but you'll never go rounds. An index class is nothing more than a bracket race with a fixed, heads up dial in. You will never consistently hit a .400 pro tree with a turbo car, like you can with a NA or nitrous car...Never.
Never say never. It can be done...

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
i could

give my buddys number ,,he did this last summer

it was a dual turbo 406,, 1080hp on pump gas, 1500 on race ,,,, the sad part about that engine is , it was going in a super sweet chevy II , bad wreck playing with it in his parking lot , destroyed the car , hit 2 other cars and totalled them , they said it rolled 5 times before it stopped , , they found the car sitting on top of 2 cars . The incident was reported as a plane crash ,, i'd say they heard the turbos so it sounded like a jet. Initial reports are that the return spring for the fuel injestion was not enough to overcome the vacume of the turbos and it sucked the butterfly to WOT and wouldn't let go. 9 ribs broken , skull fractured around his eye socket , another fracture to his skull at the back of his head. I've got pics of him working on the car but my phone and puter aren't talking , , it was going to be something special , now its junk ,, 150,000.00 $$$ spent on it so far

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Never say never. It can be done...
I haven't seen it either and we are at the track a lot. The turbo cars run fast WHEN they get everything right in one pass but they aren't consistent by any means. I see many races where one of the turbo cars qualifies fastest but way more than half of the time a nitrous car wins the event. The fastest cars do not necessarily win...it's the consistent cars that get down the track nearly every pass with a proven setup...it's a matter of averages.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I would agree with the others that while it's cool to see the turbo cars run (when they hook up), they are never consistent (at least I have yet to see one).

I would run a blower before I ran nitrous, or turbo, but that's just cause I like the blower cars, so it's strictly personal preference for me.

I'm a car freak, so I like seeing any car go fast.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
give my buddys number ,,he did this last summer

it was a dual turbo 406,, 1080hp on pump gas, 1500 on race ,,,, the sad part about that engine is , it was going in a super sweet chevy II , bad wreck playing with it in his parking lot , destroyed the car , hit 2 other cars and totalled them , they said it rolled 5 times before it stopped , , they found the car sitting on top of 2 cars . The incident was reported as a plane crash ,, i'd say they heard the turbos so it sounded like a jet. Initial reports are that the return spring for the fuel injestion was not enough to overcome the vacume of the turbos and it sucked the butterfly to WOT and wouldn't let go. 9 ribs broken , skull fractured around his eye socket , another fracture to his skull at the back of his head. I've got pics of him working on the car but my phone and puter aren't talking , , it was going to be something special , now its junk ,, 150,000.00 $$$ spent on it so far
And what does that have anything to do with consistently hitting a .400 pro tree with a turbo car??:confused:

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For all you that say turbo car's can not be consistant. Check this out......This was posted on another race site I frequent. Now you guy's that
have seen the TURBO edition of Past time this car was one the fastest on that show. The driver name is KENJO and this car is scary fast and consistant in the True Ten 1/2 class. This next excert was taken from HOTRODGOSSIP2.com

PIPELINE WON THE TUFF STREET, PARTNER DEWIGHT CANNON WAS RUNNER UP. WE HAD 12 CARS IN TT5, KENJO WON IT WITH A STEADY STRING OF 4.70'S!! I KNOW PAT GRISBY (sp) WON THE 5.80. LARRY MAC WON THE 6.60!! HOW ABOUT A BIG UPSET IN STRICTLY STREET, Ron Byrd aka 598TransAm TOOK THE WIN, DAMN NOW THERE IS A CHEVY IN THE FORD PLAYHOUSE!

Now I understand what you guy's mean but it can be done. And Kenjo in the TT.5 class does qutie often. Then there's Todd Moyer in XTF class ran 4.08-13's lass weekend.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
this may not be tailored for your setup, but Borg Warner S475's are around $500-$600. T6 flange 75mm, good for 1000hp. i think its like another $500 to upgraded it to a 94mm. 70mm Master Power's are about $500 also. T4 flange good for about 600hp, so 2 will make about 1200hp. but these turbo arent custom. u get them as is. if ur gonna get one tailored to ur setup, i would go Precision.:yes::yes::yes:

im gonna run the S475, hopin to see like low 9's or high 8's w/ it then upgrade it to the 94mm or 90mm. i've seen those MP 70mm go 8.60'[email protected], with more to go, but the track wouldnt hold up.. good luck on this build...

LIL JOHN

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
For all you that say turbo car's can not be consistant. Check this out......This was posted on another race site I frequent. Now you guy's that
have seen the TURBO edition of Past time this car was one the fastest on that show. The driver name is KENJO and this car is scary fast and consistant in the True Ten 1/2 class. This next excert was taken from HOTRODGOSSIP2.com

PIPELINE WON THE TUFF STREET, PARTNER DEWIGHT CANNON WAS RUNNER UP. WE HAD 12 CARS IN TT5, KENJO WON IT WITH A STEADY STRING OF 4.70'S!! I KNOW PAT GRISBY (sp) WON THE 5.80. LARRY MAC WON THE 6.60!! HOW ABOUT A BIG UPSET IN STRICTLY STREET, Ron Byrd aka 598TransAm TOOK THE WIN, DAMN NOW THERE IS A CHEVY IN THE FORD PLAYHOUSE!

Now I understand what you guy's mean but it can be done. And Kenjo in the TT.5 class does qutie often. Then there's Todd Moyer in XTF class ran 4.08-13's lass weekend.
I'm not saying it can't be done. I just think that it will take waaaay more resources, testing, and money to get it consistent. I watch a guy out here in this part of the country (Ken Tupper) run his twin turbo car, and it makes wicked power, but he has issues getting it to hook, and getting the turbos spooled up the same when staging. I love watching that car run, and give him tons of kudos for working the combo, but he's got a lot more time and money to try to make it work than I do.

Someone has to be the innovator with this type of setup!

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I haven't seen it either and we are at the track a lot. The turbo cars run fast WHEN they get everything right in one pass but they aren't consistent by any means. I see many races where one of the turbo cars qualifies fastest but way more than half of the time a nitrous car wins the event. The fastest cars do not necessarily win...it's the consistent cars that get down the track nearly every pass with a proven setup...it's a matter of averages.
Funny, my buddy's car which I crew for has run consistent low 7.90's (1/4 mile) all weekend on a 275 DR. That car was a single turbo SBC. Car is now twins. Everybody came by the pits to call it a bracket car. LOL

Just because you haven't seen it dosen't mean it cant be done for those who try harder. Turbo cars can be inconsistent when the power is not controlled properly but when you figure it out then is is no different than any other power adder as far as consistency.

I was mostly commenting on NOVACAIN's post about never "hitting a .400 tree consistently" with a turbo car which makes no sense to me because power adder makes no difference on RT.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts

For every one person that says it CANT be done:sleep:, there is a racer actually DOING IT.:yes:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I was mostly commenting on NOVACAIN's post about never "hitting a .400 tree consistently" with a turbo car which makes no sense to me because power adder makes no difference on RT.

Alright, since none of you guys know how to read or listen, I'm going to start over.

Nowhere did I say that turbo cars are inconsistent.

What I did say, is that a turbo car will NEVER be as consistent for hitting a .400 pro tree compared to a N/A, nitrous, or blower car. Why? let me explain.

Number one, have you ever tried to hit a .400 pro tree? If you look at most outlaw heads up classes, most of the reaction times are erratic and atrocious. Why? Because the cars can't physically react quick enough.

With a turbo car, you must spool it up before staging. That entails pumping up the brakes, powerbraking it up and barely holding the car, while trying to consistently bump another 6 inches from the pre stage beam to the stage beam. I see a lot of guys accidentally deep staging turbo cars a lot because they simply can't hold the car back. The biggest part of being consistent on the tree is staging in the same spot every time. When you're trying to hold all that power back while maintaining a certain boost pressure, it is very hard to keep everything the same and stage in the same spot.

You CANNOT convince me that this is just as consistent as lighting the pre stage, slightly raising the idle to build line pressure and then bumping into the stage beam, depressing the transbrake button and then flooring it. Never.

Index racing is a bracket race with a heads up start and a fixed dial in. If you can lose for going too fast, it's a bracket race. Think like a bracket racer...I can't think of any successful bracket racers with turbo equipped cars.

Not to mention that turbo cars (especially large frame turbos on small displacement engines) have a tendency to leave very soft. Hard to hit a .400 pro tree like this.

But what do I know...I'm just an 18 year old moron:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL.......No one is calling you a MORON. We are just saying that Turbo car's CAN hit the .400 tree better than you think. Trust me I have watch them cut .00x light's quite a often. I am just telling you what I have seen for my self.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Nobody said it couldn't be done...anything can be done depending on much time and money someone throws at it. There may be a very few that have done it and even Moyer has struggled from time to time. If you look at the upper classes it's primarily nitrous and blowers with a few turbos thrown in...same for ProMod...there's a reason for that.

Cutting a light isn't the issue, it's what happens after that. If you look at any of the 1/8th mile events, I don't think you will find many turbos or turbo winners, again not saying there aren't ANY but not many compared to the other combinations.

Believe me if they worked that great and were that consistent I'd be on them like a hobo on a hotdog!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts